Support your local trader

realist 19:22 12 Sep 2007

It was a bit of an eye-opener this week when shopping around for some replacement window vents.

Like most people my first instinct is to check for online prices and the particular items I needed were available from only one trader.

The cost including VAT worked out at £51.46, with free next day delivery as it was over £50.

I thought this was somewhat excessive, so when in town I called in at a local glaziers and they had exactly what I needed in stock.

The cost?
Call it £26 he said!

Si_L 23:16 12 Sep 2007

I try to support local shops even if they are a couple of pounds dearer. In the end though, the big corporate business' barge in and take the market, which only means lower prices for the consumer, so I'm not fussed really.

Quickbeam 01:38 13 Sep 2007

Yesterday the washing machine brokedown. I called out a local service engineer and he diagnosed a broken drum spindle. As it was about 10 years old, a repair was uneconomic.

He also noticed I had the daily paper open on the electrical retailers ads. He then said he would match the advertised price of the new one I was considering, take the old one away and install the new one first thing the next morning.

By 9:00 this morning he'd done what he said... Me?... well pleased!

Chegs ®™ 03:00 13 Sep 2007

I try to support the local traders,but invariably they've gone bust before need their services.I was looking along our main precinct today,first thing I noticed was the large number of for sale/rent signs and I also noticed the business that previously occupied the shop was one I'd never heard of.Our main precinct used to be a hive of people chatting and shopping at least 6 days a week,today was eerily quiet.I initially thought "half day closing" being a wednesday,but then I recalled that just a few years ago the town centre was still busy including sundays(loads of folk just idly window shopping) It was a glorious day today too so couldn't even blame the weather.All these superstores have taken the "heart" out of our town centre.I also recalled a conversation I had with a passenger (I was a cabbie) about a shop closing down after 50+ years in the town.He muttered that "it was no surprise he went bust as the shop was too far away from the centre" This shocked me as the shop in question was no more than 50yrds from the main precinct,had car parking right outside the door(2 or 3 car spaces)and was on the route to the supermarket.It was a hardware/ironmongers and the owner wrote a longish letter to the local paper stating his reason for finally closing...a hardware superstore on the opposite side of town.The only good thing about our town centre shops was the huge number of charity shops have gone,there have been numerous letters in the local paper about all the charity shops opening inplace of long running businesses.

egapup 08:34 13 Sep 2007

I never used to pay to park in our town car park, thought it was a cheek to ask for 50p when i was buying things and supporting our local shops, the council have now dropped the charge to 10p for the first hour, I now pay and the it's also become a lot busier. The council have actually done something sensible.

Stuartli 09:21 13 Sep 2007

My best mate has an independent audio/visual/appliances outlet and is a member of the Euronics group.

It's buying power means that he can match any of the high street stores for prices and, above a certain price figure, he provides free delivery and installation; this doesn't take into account the value of quality after sales and service.

Up to quite recently he offered free delivery on most items, but the general public's insistence on buying everything at the lowest possible price means that it's no longer economical to do so.

Wilham 09:31 13 Sep 2007

D Tel front page Tues, Sept 11, reported a proposal to end free parking at out-of-town stores click here

There is a 'mini-supermarket' close to my home that is useful at times, - I'm happy to pay a few pence more. But my weekly shopping is out-of-town supermarket because it offers a wider range of cheeses, cooked meats, fresh fish, and crisp vegetables/salads. The date on milk is more than a week ahead.

Perhaps few MP's shop for themselves?

techie4me 12:06 13 Sep 2007

For most things yes.
We use the village builder who does a great job.
And even though some village shops are slightly more expensive than going to town, it does save on fuel & car parking.

Stuartli 13:07 13 Sep 2007

Cameron quickly put a stop to that proposal.

Don't forget that one of Prescott's original notions was to tax employees who had free parking facilities at work.

That was also ruled out as a real vote killer...:-)

spuds 18:18 15 Sep 2007

The talk of free out of town parking in the new type shopping complexes may be a thing of the past. I notice of late in media reports, the suggestion of 'taxing' this free privilege as began to raise its head again, after a short rest period.

This proposed tax scheme, will also apply to work and business parking free spaces.No mention of using your own property driveways yet.

Where will it all end, because what as been previously stated, our town and village areas are very similar, and are already in deep decline with traders closing down, and premises becoming vacant and derelict.One of our local small town council's have had to stop charging for car parking, due to more people not supporting the scheme. The local traders, including the chippy and newsagent were suffering mass losses.

lisa02 15:55 17 Sep 2007

You wanna pay Belfast prices for parking, £5 for 2 hours and it increases steadily.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?