Supermarkets blocking the aisles

Graham. 23:46 22 Dec 2009

In particular, my local Morrisons seems intent on expanding shelf space into the areas in which shoppers move about. The aisles are filled with piles of Stella boxes, crisps and Coke.

The checkout area is awash with wrapping paper. Metal cages with special offers block access to shelves.

Teams of managers can be seen on the shop floor discussing where to put more displays. They are aware of our objections - if I comment 'Put some more here, people can still get through' they give that look that they've heard it all before.

The latest today - the aisle leading to baskets and self checkouts completely closed off by produce, meaning those queues being entangled with the trolley queues.

Are the managers being set targets and are panicking? I mean, stuffs moving, there's no need for it.

John B 00:28 23 Dec 2009

I think it might be because it's Christmas?

TopCat® 01:25 23 Dec 2009

wife ended up with a badly strained and bruised right arm and shoulder when she fell over a low, empty display base left out in the walkway. The garden centre staff didn't want to enter the event in their accident book, but my wife insisted and waited with the ambulance until they did.

She was very lucky not to have suffered a limb fracture or, more seriously, the shock of it bringing on another heart attack. Had one earlier this year and is on medication. Anyway, today she remains with arm held in a sling and an additional dose of painkillers. TC.

morddwyd 07:00 23 Dec 2009

I find a good way is to tell them they have reduced the width below that required for the passage of a certain number of persons in the event of a fire, in other words they are reducing minimum width of the fire escape paths, and breaching the fire regulations.

I forget the actual width/number of persons ratio but it can be found on Firenet.

BT 07:52 23 Dec 2009

It seems to me that there is awful lot of flouting of regulations in some supermarkets. I watched in disbelief one day in Tesco when a couple of chaps moved a'Cherrypicker' into postion next to a checkout and proceeded to fiddle with a light fitting and CCTV camera right above the operator and a customer with a young baby. There was no attempt to close the till or cone off the area until I pointed it out to the Checkout Supervisor, when she cleared the area immediately.

Quickbeam 08:26 23 Dec 2009

Like all big companies, they have sterling Health & Safety policies, with the minutest possible non-risk event catered for. With each successive H&S officer keen to add more non-risk possibilities to justify their position and salary, and to put their mark on the companies H&S policy, the burden of apparently nonsense rules that the staff have to try and remember is so great, that it then takes a lay person to spot the danger with the use of common sense. The same common sense that went by the wayside several years ago... imho;)

bobbybowls 08:27 23 Dec 2009

I worked in a well known supermarket for a few years. Over the Christmas period the number of lines on the department that I worked on would almost double.
BT On the subject of flouting the rules I was constantly told by the head of the department to bend the rules. Examples are, being given a number of different colored pens to fill in paperwork that should have been done the previous week, be told to setup and man a food sampling station despite not having the necessary safe food handling training. Transferring out of date stock into newer boxes and removing date labels from produce.

Graham. 09:30 23 Dec 2009

What a good idea. I shall join Firenet forum and pose the question.

Hercule Marple 09:40 23 Dec 2009

Our local Morrisons is terribly cluttered at any time of the year. The aisles are too narrow. They are going to build a larger store next year, though, so hopefully that'll sort out the congestion problem.

BRYNIT 10:04 23 Dec 2009

Although the aisle do get smaller during xmas the problem is not always with the shop even when aisle are clear.

I have found some people these days have no consideration for other shoppers. The main problem is leaving a trolley anywhere across the aisle in a position that prevents anyone from getting by.

2-3 adults with or without children standing around talking completely blocking the aisle or shelves you are trying to get to.

In an emergency it would not matter how wide the aisle was they would still have problems getting out.

jack 10:54 23 Dec 2009

That prattle on the phone in an isle- I barge them out of the way.
Trolly blocking a display I want to get to - I move it.
Thoughtless folk gossiping ,get a bump from me- I no longer tip toe around these morons.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?