Super private motor yacht sets 'sail' from Plymouth

TopCat® 18:24 03 Mar 2012
Answered

'THE LARGEST private motor yacht ever to have been constructed in Britain has sailed from Plymouth on course to its new owners....'

From the photos given, I reckon the owners will be leaving the handling and navigation to the skipper and crew. No thrill of the do-it-yourself then just to see how she handles. What a shame! :) Agreed? TC.

MY Vava II

Aitchbee 18:51 03 Mar 2012

I would want to know if I could get a good game of snooker on it...

Quickbeam 18:55 03 Mar 2012

Maybe the queen would like to charter it this year seeing as she can't afford her own.

Aitchbee 18:55 03 Mar 2012

...if it was a hurricaine outside?

john bunyan 19:00 03 Mar 2012

Captain Francesco Schettino is looking for work....

morddwyd 19:19 03 Mar 2012

If you've got it, flaunt it!

That's what you call a company mission statement!

HondaMan 20:42 03 Mar 2012

Ugly thing innit?

Aitchbee 22:00 03 Mar 2012

TopCat - when I drew a yacht at school, aged 7, it had sails on it. (with reference to 'sail' in your header).

I could draw ocean liners as well...I might have another go...at both.

TopCat® 00:19 04 Mar 2012
Answer

Several years ago the 'in thing' then to be included in some new merchant ships designs was a computer controlled mast and 'sail'. This was to be used when wind conditions allowed to aid in the ship's propulsion, thereby hopefully saving a few hundred tons of engine fuel by its use.

I remember seeing film of one converted, medium sized ship underway on trials, but I can't recall any others in actual service. TC.

OTT_B 11:06 04 Mar 2012

TopCat®

From the looks of this company who made some fairly high profile press releases a few years ago, the idea hasn't 'taken off', so to speak.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?