Sunset stops play

Legolas 19:10 07 Aug 2007

Just watching the cricket on sky sports1 and the play has been suspended because the setting sun is shinning in the batsman's eyes, lovely blue sky and still no cricket. As one of the commentators said could they not bowl from the one end till the sun has set sufficiently to stop the glare, it really is laughable.

So Afraid 19:53 07 Aug 2007

Give the batsman a pair of sunglasses and get on with it.

laurie53 20:30 07 Aug 2007

You've forgotten the moneymen.

To do anything of this nature you need the agreement of the sponsors and advertisers, who might not get the exposure they have paid for.

Batsmens' sunglasses would be a lucrative contract.

As in all "sports", money rules.

Stuartli 20:56 07 Aug 2007

It's clearly a safety issue - a cricket ball bowled at you at speeds between 50-90 mph can do serious damage if you can't see it.

BRYNIT 21:45 07 Aug 2007

I wonder if the commentator thought clearly before making that statement. Changing ends would not solve the problem it would just make it difficult for the bowler to see clearly.

Chegs ®™ 13:58 08 Aug 2007

I find the whole of the game of cricket to be laughable.I saw a photo recently of the victorians playing,huge tophats & pads that looked like they'd been tied inplace with string.Now,they're dressed like they're defusing a bomb,helmet/face guards/pads/armour under the shirt/sunscreen,etc.I thought it was a game,not a battle.

Earthsea 14:04 08 Aug 2007

As a friend of mine once said, 'Red sky at night, shepherd's pie'.

Kate B 14:08 08 Aug 2007

Well, I wouldn't want a cricket ball - which is rock-hard - in my face, never mind at the speed at which it travels after leaving the bowler's hand or indeed the bat. They'd be mad not to wear a helmet/pads/face guard. Nor would I want sunburn, which you're likely to get if you're outside all day, particularly in the Aussie sun which is fierce. I don't understand the point of sniping at cricketers for taking sensible steps to protect themselves. Is it somehow less manly to think of your safety?

Earthsea 14:15 08 Aug 2007

If you play cricket without a protective cup then there's a risk you could well end up less manly!

Curio 14:16 08 Aug 2007

Well said Kate B. What about those American Footballers?

Quickbeam 14:53 08 Aug 2007

All competitive games are a battle... it most definitely is the 'winning that counts'.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?