Suits and Anoraks

morddwyd 20:26 05 Apr 2010

The other evening the conversation to clothing and I mentioned that I now only had three suits, the least number I have ever owned, but now that I am retired I didn’t really need any more.

Some present were surprised, as they didn’t even own one (I decided to keep quiet about 20+ ties and two dozen pairs of shoes!).

We then drifted on to anoraks, so to speak, and they were just as surprised to find that not only did I not have one, but I’d never had one.

I was just as surprised to find that some present had as many as six.

So where do you stand on the suits/anoraks line?

Discount those worn for work by the likes of accountants and estate agents, just leisure clobber.

QuizMan 20:56 05 Apr 2010

It is jeans that people seemed surprised that I do not possess. I used to have a pair for working in the garden, but never as a fashion item.

sunnystaines 22:14 05 Apr 2010

never more than one suit at any one time. in my lifetime had a total of four suites.

Quickbeam 22:31 05 Apr 2010

I'm a very casual dresser, even for some training classes that I do. No-one does suits much anymore.

The most formal I do is evening dress, and that I view as much a fancy dress outfit as a gladiator outfit. But then I've never taken life too seriously... have I?

WhiteTruckMan 22:34 05 Apr 2010

that the likes of accountants and estate agents wore anoraks for work!

Not got one myself. But owning a truly decent hat goes a long way, weather protection all by itself.

I just have three suits though. But I must declare that they are 'proper' suits, as in three piece ones. Anything else wouldn't feel right. Not wearing a waistcoat would make me feel like a chav having his day in court. or even a footballer (shudders).

(When I used to work in the same place as alan14, my idea of a dress down day was to wear a cardigan)

WTM

jakimo 22:39 05 Apr 2010

I very recently disposed of my 1964 wedding suite,but Im not claiming it would still fit though!

Quickbeam 22:51 05 Apr 2010

I've got loads of outdoor coats though (I don't use the term anorak).

BT 07:57 06 Apr 2010

I don't have any suits. The last one I bought was for my wedding in 1972, which was given to the charity shop when I couldn't get into it any more. I do have a couple of Blazers for Weddings and Funerals but apart from that I do casual.
I've only worn a tie twice in the past eight years both times for funerals.

morddwyd 08:13 06 Apr 2010

"Im not claiming it would still fit though!"

I can honestly say that when I got rid of my service greatcoat in 2005, having been issued with it in 1956, it still fitted, though to be fair I would have to admit that it was a bit snug under the arms.

interzone55 08:43 06 Apr 2010

I have 3 suits.
My wedding suit, that cost a small fortune and has only been worn once. I doubt it will fit now.
My going to weddings / baptisms / job interviews suit, very smart with a cut that will never be out of fashion (hopefully) so can be worn for many years
My funeral suit, bought from Primark for £20 on the day before my Mother's funeral, now been worn 4 times in the last 2 years.

I have one anorak / kagool, but I really don't like to wear it because it's not in any way breathable, so I sweat like a pig in it. One chap at my gym wears one when exercising, kind of like a portable sauna, but he leaves a trail wherever he goes.

Instead of an anorak I have a NATO forces overcoat that's been re-dyed black, totally waterproof and windproof, and very comfortable, amazing value at £20 from an army surplus shop in Manchester...

WhiteTruckMan 09:19 06 Apr 2010

Our birthday suits...

It's been a while since mine had an airing, but I believe it could do with a good ironing.

WTM

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Intel Coffee Lake release date and specifications

12 Amazing British Craft Beer Label Designs

watchOS 4 review

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017