Suicide; Cowards? Brave? Mis-Understood?

Z1100 01:12 04 Dec 2006

...no matter what your opinion someone else will have a different or better opinion on why people attempt or succeed and who is at risk and how to tell.

This time of year is one of the most prolific for Suicide attempts and there are around 5000 cases of suicide recorded each year in the UK, but it is estimated that the act is under-reported by 30 to 50 per cent. Since the 1960s the rates have been increasing and it is now among the 10 commonest causes of death and the fourth commonest for young adults.

So, what is your opinion or do you prefer to turn away from the fact that it happens or maybe even turn your back on someone because they have attempted suicide…

Has our new society created a proliferation of suicide based on under-achievment and over-expectations; or can we 'just blame the parents'?

Hanx!
K.

hijo 02:02 04 Dec 2006

Funnily you should post this,yesterday (saturday) i spoke to my father who i havent seen for some time & although this is a "tad" differant then your post i thought its got some kinda relevance,aparently my uncle who had everything a wife a nice house & a good life has become almost over night "a tramp" omg..!!! hes walked out on everything he had & just cut his ties,hes grown a beard & sleeps around the old street's of Hull in boxes ect,my father saw him in the street with some other tramps & demanded he go & talk to him in a bar out of the way of the others,so my uncle agreed but when my father went to buy a beer & a meal for my uncle he turned around & my uncle was "rocking" his body backwards & forwards making a deep moaning noise like he was senile & looking at the floor..!!
my father asked him to move in with him & clean his "act" up But my uncle said "he was happy" as he is living on the streets,he has tried to kill himself & hes got terminal cancer so we are worried about him BUT what can he or us do...??

DrScott 10:25 04 Dec 2006

most of the suicide attempters I've seen have not been serious about killing themselves. Usually story is row with Mum, took 12 paracetamol, called a friend who called an ambulance etc. etc.

Having said that meeting those who have survived serious attempts is quite disturbing. In fact, I remember one guy who seemed very upbeat and happy, and generally just really cool, except he was dead set on the idea of killing himself. He was so rational and calm about it - it was as if his brain was just wired to self-destruct mode.

The problem is determining who actually wants to die, and those who use it as a 'cry for help'. It's actually quite difficult and has often gone wrong....

MichelleC 11:44 04 Dec 2006

In all my years in the caring professions I never knew anyone who took their own life. In the mental health day centre there were lots who talked about it but never did it. We used to ask them how they would do it, including all the grizzly details and that in itself used to put them off the idea. We drew the conclusion that those who talk about it are very unlikely to go ahead and do it, whilst people who don't talk about it are more likely to.
If someone's hell bent on committing suicide there's very little anyone can do. Their mindset is already geared up and that's why some suicidals are so calm about it. It's as if the very act will take all their troubles away.
Stress, low self esteem and depression are also key factors, and if you can get someone talking about it or their problems you've usually won the battle to get them to stay alive.
I don't know where to apportion the blame why there's more suicides in modern times, but we do live in a more stressful society than a few years ago. Rush, rush, hurry, hurry. I even see people running around the supermarkets they're so stressed. Another fact is all our caring resources are stretched to the limit.

The Brigadier 11:48 04 Dec 2006

More young men between 18-25 kill themseves than any other age group.

If you feel depressed or down, PLEASE do not bottle it up speak to someone like click here or click here or click here

Please dont become another statistic.

Kate B 15:53 04 Dec 2006

I think "blame" is the wrong word. There's no blame in suicide - just sadness all round.

Cymro. 16:07 04 Dec 2006

A relative of mine committed suicide leaving behind a young wife and baby daughter. I don`t know if he realised the mess he left behind but these people were never the same again. I just wish that people who contemplate suicide would think of those they leave behind and the affects their death has on these people, the very people who love them the most.

daisy2bell 16:31 04 Dec 2006

""I just wish that people who contemplate suicide would think of those they leave behind and the affects their death has on these people, the very people who love them the most.""

The problem is, that someone who commits suicide is so down, and cannot think in a rational manner.
Something just snaps.And they do it. They can see no other way out.
My wife's father comited suicide when she was about 5

Kate B 16:42 04 Dec 2006

Agree with daisy2bell. Suicide is the action of someone who is so lost in their own emotions that they can't even begin to think about how it might affect other people. I think it's a mistake to call suicide selfish: that suggests that there's an element of rationality in the decision.

Suicide is devastating for those left behind: it's part of the tragedy of it.

Mr Mistoffelees 16:59 04 Dec 2006

"The problem is, that someone who commits suicide is so down, and cannot think in a rational manner.
Something just snaps.And they do it. They can see no other way out."

Very true.

If you are so deeply depressed you can see no light at the end of the tunnel, you can see no future and you can see no way to do anything about it. Except one way.

Believe me though, all you need to do is speak to someone and seek help. No matter how bad it seems, there are people who will help you. Please do think of the people you will leave behind.

I've been there. I very nearly succeeded in killing myself 16 years ago but, although I did not think so until I had spent some time in a residential centre, I was found unconscious, in my car, just in the nick of time. Unless you have been there you have no idea what such depression is like.

But.

Now I have been living with a wonderful woman for 5 years and life has never been better. I found the light at the end of the tunnel, it is there, you just need to find it. don't be scared to ask for help.

DrScott 17:06 04 Dec 2006

I'm so glad you managed to find that light, and have realised life isn't all that bad.

Severe depression is not at all rational, and can't be talked through. Some point to physiolocial imbalances in serotonin (5HT), but antidepressants don't all work on every person.

Depression can get so bad that you become catatonic, and indeed starve to death. I've met someone in a psych ward on the verge of this, and it was deeply troubling and so very sad.

Of course, not all depression leads to suicide, and some might argue you don't have to be depressed to commit suicide, but for many it's the only way they can see of ending the pain of living.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?