Sugar's opinion on aid for small businesses

JanetO 17:05 09 Nov 2009

"They're-living-in-Disney-World..."

That is his opinion of small businesses who complained that banks aren't helping them through difficult times.click here

THE Federation of Small Businesses (FSB) has called for the resignation of Lord Sugar, the government’s ‘enterprise tsar’. click here

oresome 18:52 09 Nov 2009

He's not a politician. He tells it as he sees it.

Forum Editor 19:02 09 Nov 2009

Well fair enough, nothing wrong with that, as long as people don't run away with the idea that just because Alan Sugar says something it is necessarily true. His business life hasn't all been plain sailing - he's been responsible for some fairly spectacular failures over the years.

Alan Sugar has that thrusting, East end of London market stall approach to marketing and selling, and he has obviously made a great deal of money - that's a fact that nobody can deny. The danger with people like him is that they can begin to believe they have all the answers. Alan doesn't have all the answers by any means, but he has a lot of them, which is presumably why he was asked to help out. His recent comments about small businesses were way off beam however, and he needs to think a little more in future before operating the famous Sugar mouth.

JanetO 14:32 10 Nov 2009

I ran a company during the last recession. We managed to survive but many other companies we used as suppliers went to the wall due to the banks not supporting them through hard times.

Now exactly the same thing is happening all over again. But this time the self same banks have been shored up by the taxpayer. Even so they're not lending or extending credit.

If the banks had been less mercanary the last time most of those companies would still be around today.

If Sugar thinks small businesses deserve to go under soley due to financial pressure then his grumpy head is floating in the clouds.

BIG Ben strikes 10 again! 14:48 10 Nov 2009

click here

This should cheer up, should you ever feel annoyed at this guy.

jakimo 16:20 10 Nov 2009

Once a Eastend barrow boy,always a barrow boy I say,Ive met quite a few of them

Forum Editor 18:22 10 Nov 2009

Jack Cohen, the founder of Tesco started out as an East end barrow boy, and it ended up reasonably well. He made the transition from running a very small business to being at the head of a huge business - I don't think being a barrow boy is necessarily a bar to success.

JanetO 09:03 11 Nov 2009

Brilliant.

Forum Editor
...Jack Cohen, the founder of Tesco started out as an East end barrow boy, and it ended up reasonably well. He made the transition from running a very small business to being at the head of a huge business - I don't think being a barrow boy is necessarily a bar to success...

But it could be synonymous with the way in which they treat people. I'm betting Cohen, like Sugar, was pretty ruthless. I seem to recall some of the business ethics deployed by Sugar, especially when he tried to trick Amstrad's shareholders into selling their shares to him at a much lower price than they were worth.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?