Subtitles for the 'Bonnie Lads'!

Quickbeam 11:41 13 Feb 2015

Why aye man, I wor jus' watchin' sumthin' on the telly like, an' they wor speekin' ta a Geordie farmer lass, aye, an' they had the subtitles on...

What's that about! Will Dr Finlay be getting them next, all Brummies and Scousers and West Country folk that dinna speek eschury inglish!!!

Waken up BBC, we are't thick ye ken!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:41 13 Feb 2015

Can we get subtitles for Brumas quiz tonight?

is it the accent or are the clues and directions too cryptic?

:0)

lotvic 12:45 13 Feb 2015

QB, perhaps not everyone is bi/tri/multi-lingual like wot yoo is ;p

morddwyd 20:41 13 Feb 2015

Don't you remember the fuss a few years ago when somebody, I think it may have been the Beeb, put sub-titles on for a documentary on Aberdeen trawlermen?

john bunyan 20:42 13 Feb 2015

My wife is from the Forest of Dean. Some of her older relatives are difficult to understand:

Forest Dialect

Brumas 20:58 13 Feb 2015

*Fruit Bat /\0/* LOL.

Having left Hull in 1965 I consider my accent somewhat diluted but I still have to resort to the phonetic alphabet, for my name and address etc. on the phone (not to friends and relations of course) when dealing with strangers!

Quickbeam 08:45 14 Feb 2015

It must be indicative of the dumbing down for today's viewers. We didn't need subtitles to watch The Likely Lads or The Liver Birds...

kad292 09:34 14 Feb 2015

Yep,nowt like dialect,one of the best things about these islands is that diversity.

john bunyan 10:29 14 Feb 2015

The accents are fine; I was given books such as "Larn Yourself Geordie" and a similar on Scouse by military friends. the difficulty is with dialect words such as "Clarts" (old Norse for Mud in Newcastle area) , and some old Scots words are totally different. I love the diversity and hope it never goes. They should have more local accents on regional Radio and TV

morddwyd 20:26 14 Feb 2015

The trouble is that thanks to southern based television today's "received accent" is Estuary English, and all other dialects are foreign.

bumpkin 21:06 14 Feb 2015

I find some of the Scottish difficult to understand at times "see you, see you, Jimmy, Jimmy, see you Jimmy, a pint of Newcastle please" being an example.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?