The 'stuff' you find in tins...

  Z1100 19:53 29 Mar 2007
Locked

Just been in Tesco and I found some lovely stuff in there for the brave connoisseur, like;

Tinned Fried Onions!
&
Tinned Coleslaw.

Made my stomach churn.

Hanx!
K.

  PurplePenny 20:31 29 Mar 2007

are great for making hotdogs in a hurry. They taste just like the onions you get on hotdogs from the Fair.

  Jackcoms 20:44 29 Mar 2007

Somebody pass me a bucket, please.

  oresome 20:49 29 Mar 2007

"They taste just like the onions you get on hotdogs from the Fair."

Really? They're that bad?

Only joking PurplePenny, but I think I'll give them a miss.

  Brumas 22:08 29 Mar 2007

If I can remember correctly ,back in the 60s whilst on a scheme in Germany, we swopped some of our 'compo rations' for some of the American rations. The huge tins containing whole cooked chickens were delicious, made our Meat&Veg look like prison rations!
Oh, and we never got fresh chilled bottled water delivered out on location - talk about roughing it!

  €dstowe 22:12 29 Mar 2007

I have seen canned Brussels Sprouts also canned spinach.

Both contained Green S and Tartrazine I suppose the counteract the grey colour they would have turned during the processing.

  Kate B 22:45 29 Mar 2007

Sprouts, tinned or otherwise are wrong. Very wrong.

  oresome 22:48 29 Mar 2007

I remember the whole chickens in a tin. Two pound of jelly and a sparrow.

  Brumas 23:05 29 Mar 2007

Mebbe so but it tasted 100% better then corned dog or M&V ;o)

  Forum Editor 23:11 29 Mar 2007

I spent several summers camping on the Isles of Scilly with friends. The island we stayed on (Agnes) is joined to another island (Gugh) by a sandbar, over which you can walk at low tide. One year there were hald a dozen Army cadets camped on the other island, doing some kind of exercise, and they invited us across for dinner one night.

I clearly remember that everything came out of a tin - they even had matches and toilet paper in tins. We had the most delicious dinner, and I realised that tinned food can be really good if prepared with care and imagination.

  spuds 23:11 29 Mar 2007

Not just tinned stuff, but other factory produced foods mystify me. This evening we had a 'Monster' Steak and Kidney Crusty Pie (850g). Meat product 13%, but we are still wondering about the other 87% content of the pie. Doe's anyone really know or understands what all the extra ingredients are,that make up food products nowadays.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?