Students of human nature - what do you think?

Forum Editor 11:51 13 Mar 2011

An electrician who fitted some burglar alarms for Picasso claims that the artist gave him 271 pieces of his art - now valued at around 50 million Euros.

click here

Picasso's family say that he would never have made that kind of gift to one person.

We can't libel the electrician, so let's have no 'he's obviously a crook' comments please, but if it's true it must be the biggest 'thanks for doing a good job' tip the world has ever known, mustn't it?

jakimo 12:38 13 Mar 2011

It might have happened over a glass of Vino

Forum Editor 13:04 13 Mar 2011

or twenty.

wee eddie 13:17 13 Mar 2011

I think it unlikely. However, I seem to remember reading somewhere that Picasso was notoriously tight, but valued his work at considerably less than it later became worth.

I should say that, in the past, I have been given Paintings in lieu of rent.

One was an old Icon, given me by the daughter of a prominent Barrister. Some years later, he rang me, asking if I knew the whereabouts of the Icon, which was one of the few things that his parents had managed to bring out of Russia with them when they fled, I told him that I had it and although he offered money, I gave it back.

One of my Flatmates, who later became Chairman of Christies, had valued it as ~ "More suitably kept in a Bank Vault". I also have 3 other pictures, by Artists, who failed to achieve fame of any kind, but are redolent with memories.

TopCat® 13:23 13 Mar 2011

Apparently "hundreds of previously unknown works by the artist" have been found, so wouldn't that possibly tend to depress the price of Picasso's other works? TC.

lotvic 13:28 13 Mar 2011

Apparently "The Le Guennecs have offered vague and somewhat inconsistent accounts of how the works came into their possession" click here

Chegs ®™ 14:25 13 Mar 2011

This story just confirms how little I know about art/artists as I always assumed that Picasso was from another century(possibly 17th/18th or even older)certainly not dying only 40 years ago.I wouldn't have thought that an artist might hand over this amount of their work,but as spider9 said "We cannot possibly know how his mind worked" and I would hope that if Mr Le Guennec is made to stand trial then a court might also reach a similar conclusion.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:53 13 Mar 2011

Hmm I might need to set some new tariffs

New Socket fitted - 1 Picasso
Wiring check - 3 Picasso
New consumer unit - 5 Picasso

Total rewire 271 Picasso

:0)

lotvic 15:14 13 Mar 2011

I'd better get my felt tips out - I've just had done:
6 New DoubleSockets fitted - 6 Picasso
Wiring check - 3 Picasso
New consumer unit - 5 Picasso
1 New lightswitch - ? Picasso
New Outside light - ? Picasso

hastelloy 16:00 13 Mar 2011

There's a story that Brian Blessed - as a young boy - sat next to Picasso at a concert. Picasso offered him a sketch at the end of the performance but he didn't like it so refused to take it.

No idea whether it's true but it's a nice story.

Seth Haniel 16:02 13 Mar 2011

who freely gives away their art to any that take an interest - I own several such pieces - maybe in years to come their family may not see that the artist would have given away their works - but the majority of 'great' artists do not see their work as anything special and to what is a masterpiece to some is 'well' to others. I'm afraid I have been around the Picasso Museum in Malaga and found it very hard to keep a straight face.

(and I have an artistic background )

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?