State of our NHS

Al94 20:42 03 Mar 2010

I have been referred to our local hospital physiotherapy department for treatment for acute lower back pain arising from the sacroiliac joint. The treatment isn't having much positive effect so far and the physio told me today that she was confident that acupuncture was needed but the hospital had no funds to purchase needles! I asked if this was a lack of belief in the benefits but was assured it was doen to money or the lack thereof. Frustrating for both them and me!

GANDALF <|:-)> 07:27 04 Mar 2010

I gave up on the NHS years ago as a result of declining and quite frankly, appalling state of the service and pay monthly for private insurance through AXA PPP. It was the best move that I ever made. I know that there will be a flurry of 'the NHS was crafted by the Gods' and I'm sure that this is ture in some cases but from my experience I wouldn't send a sick pig to what has become a Theme Park under strain.

G

Bingalau 07:47 04 Mar 2010

Gandalf<|:-)> I think you are right with that summing up. I find that the consultants just pass problems on to each other until it is too late to do anything worthwhile. I've had a back problem for over five years now and although they and I know only an operation will help, they seem reluctant to do anything but pass the buck. They did likewise with my wife's cancer until when they did eventually start treating her it was too late.

Myself? I just keep taking the pain killers, but more and more of them as time goes on. I think I will emigrate to India.....

spuds 18:47 04 Mar 2010

But can we always blame the consultants and medical staff for all the problems within the NHS. Perhaps some of the complaints should be addressed to the government, regarding the management teams selected to run hospitals, and the masses of paperwork that seems to apply to every little issue of 'care'.

On Monday, from a simple visit to the GP to book a future appointment, I ended up being transfered between two hospitals, finally being discharged at 2am on Tuesday morning (14 hours later). It became very obvious that some staff were trying hard, when others had given up the ghost (so to say). On no less that four occasions I was asked the same questions by four different people, all of whom were writing the same answers on 'printed for the purpose' forms.

It wasn't just myself becoming annoyed, but many other people also. None of us seemed to be informed as to what was happening. On one occasion, the nurse came into the waiting room and took a blood sample from a person, in full view of everyone. I think that we had all resigned to the fact that anything could and would happen.

Today I received a Patients Report sheet, which should contain all the information about my treatment and other relevant details. That seems to have errors, which I will need to discuss with my GP next week.

And there's me, thinking only Mid Staffs had problems.

bri-an 22:14 04 Mar 2010

I hate to go 'against the grain' of NHS-bashing, but we've never had any complaint of treatment at our hospital over the last thirty years or so.
Both myself, wife and family members have had reason to avail ourselves of the services, for a variety of both minor and serious conditions, and got exemplary treatment each time.

Bingalau 22:25 04 Mar 2010

I can't blame the government for the numerous consultants' not telling me what was happening, What is happening now, or what may happen in the future. They get paid for it and passing on news good or bad is surely one of things they should be used to.

Al94 22:34 04 Mar 2010

I don't think it's NHS - bashing, it's peoples real experiences. I have a good friend who is diabetic and went into hospital in the new year with pneumonia - very severe. They quickly got on top of that however over the course of five days they allowed him to develop bed sores which became infected. The family had warned of the risk with his diabetes and the hospital were to get a ripple mattress for him. Following day, still not there, they had forgotten to order, next day it was there but not switched on. He was discharged as hospital was considered too dangerous for him to stay (medical advice) however at home the infection worsened and he had to be returned to hospital for surgery on the bed sores leaving a hole 5 inches by 3 inches on his rear end. He contracted MRSA and C Difficile while in for surgery, again sent home with appropriate home nursing as again - the medics said it was too dangerous to remain in hospital!

Paddylad 22:56 04 Mar 2010

I'm totally digusted with the NHS.

My wife was involved in a bus crash last October, and was taken to the nearest hospital with a neck brace on her. After X-rays and a MRI scan it was declared that she had suffered a cracked cranial vertebrae and a broken wrist. In hospital for 3 days. On the third day a nurse came to her and removed the plaster cast from her arm saying that there was no fracture in her wrist but in her first two fingers. As she changed the neck brace she said that the one she was removing had been put on upside down but that my wife could go home. My wife, our friend visiting, and I were delighted, and 2 hours later when we told we were free my wife had to walk from her hospital bed in pyjamas and housecoat to the lifts. Fortunately a porter wih more intelligence than the medical staff offered my wife his empty wheelchair.

john bunyan 23:55 04 Mar 2010

I use same insurer as you; fine for some things but no intensive care. Also getting prohibitively expensive at my advanced age (good job I am virtually teetotal!!) The best hospital near me (formerly) RNH Haslar was closed recently - in its heyday a brilliant military hospital that treated NHS as well. Would have been ideal for returning wounded but closed for political reasons (interservice rivalry etc). Most hospitals these days are so big that no one takes overall responsibilty.

rdave13 00:31 05 Mar 2010

Hmm.
Highly paid 'consultants' too confused to know the patient sitting in front of them.
Using wrong documents from a folder for another patient.
Hmm.
This consultant, born overseas, seemed inaccessible when trying to communicate to him. HMMM.
If not for the local hospital nurse god knows what would have happened.
Not lack of funds for NHS is the problem but employing under qualified foreigners to do the job.
Hmm.. and there are a lot of them.

bri-an 08:03 05 Mar 2010

"I don't think it's NHS - bashing, it's peoples real experiences."

Seems to me that everyone has a bad tale about the NHS, in just a similar fashion to when 'education' debates are rolled out, and we all pretend to know better than teachers (or lawyers or even most other professionals).

People rarely feel the need to comment on good service, so we only ever read the ones that have had 'problems', and , let's face it, some people actually get satisfaction recounting 'medical experiences'. (See the thread about endoscopy!!).

Perhaps if everyone could afford to go 'private' like Gandalf then there would be no complaints - but I suspect that won't happen as most 'intensive' cares may not be covered, and it would be prohibitively costly for most folk.
Or are the posters who have had (or even just heard about!!) bad experiences really suggesting we abandon the NHS and revert to 'private' care? Or maybe we need to throw more money at it to resolve all the difficulties, so we don't need 'under qualified foreign doctors' - we just pay more taxes and recruit only the best in the world?

Or, why not ban all alcohol, cigarettes and all obesity-causing foods, thus saving us enough resources to treat everyone with perfect care?(Tongue firmly in cheek, here!).

The NHS is a massive organisation that, statistically, will make errors, as do police, fire, social services, etc etc. - it is, after all, operated by fallible humans with all levels of skills and qualifications, just like you and me.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Is this the future of VR and AR?

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment regarder le Bureau des L├ęgendes en ligne ?