Stabbing a burglar to be made legal!

Autoschediastic 11:41 29 Jun 2011

Wow this is a shock.

link text

gengiscant 11:58 29 Jun 2011

I do not care what the law is, someone comes in to my house uninvited and with the intent to rob me or my family, I catch them they get hurt.Simple. As usual the government of any persuasion takes it's time to protect the victim of any crime.We have,for sometime now been very soft on neds etc, and god forbid they should stub there toe whilst burgling your house,then the full weight of the law will come down on you.

Twice I have been charged with inflicting pain and injury on scum and twice the charge has been thrown out at great expense to the state.

I have no doubt the bleeding heart liberals here will say that more criminals will carry knives if they believe that a victim of their criminal activity will fight back.Most of the scum up here in Scotland already carry blades of some type as if they are caught or even use them then its nothing more than a slap on the wrist.

I believe fight back only if it is safe to do so and if that means hitting them on the head when their back is turned, go for it. As far as I am concerned they have no right to be in my house and I will use any means to protect myself my family and my property..

Rant over.

ventanas 12:14 29 Jun 2011

gengiscant

I agree totally with what you say.

johndrew 12:17 29 Jun 2011

In that wonderland of the free (the USA) it is legal to shoot a 'house invader' and presumably a burglar. Given that we seem to (almost slavishly) follow the example of those across the herring pond should we simply issue every household with a firearm???

Pine Man 12:20 29 Jun 2011

Not only can you stab them but also:- "We will make it quite clear you can hit the burglar with the poker if he's in the house and you have a perfect defence when you do so."

That should see the sale of pokers rise;-)

interzone55 12:24 29 Jun 2011

I really despair of the human race sometimes, first chance of a fight and you're all out there - ANYONE WHO ENTERS MY HOUSE DESERVES TO DIE!!!!!!

Possessions can be replaced, lives can't (and none of that nonsense about irreplaceable photo graphs and lockets, if they're that important keep them in a safe, not lying on the mantelpiece)

Autoschediastic 12:26 29 Jun 2011

gengiscant Fantastically put! I too have been in that situation and there was also a burglary that happened in Hull a couple of years ago where the owners of the house head themselves getting robbed so they called the police from their mobile phone, and they went downstairs and tried to fend for themselves BUT there was three men robbing them the burglars tied them up husband and wife and beat the living daylights out of the owners of the house, the police took two hours to arrive by then the burglars had well gone and cleaned up too before they went... Put in this situation hell for leather is the words i would use! its one thing to rob a factory or business but to rob the home of the working class or people that have worked all their lives to live where they do is shameful and not acceptable it is this type of people that should be sent to work in hard labour situations.

peter99co 12:39 29 Jun 2011

I believe in an eye for an eye. I also like to have the last word.

God forbid anyone who breaks in to steal from me and uses force.

Flak999 14:39 29 Jun 2011

Ken Clarke also says that "People are entitled to use whatever force is necessary to protect themselves and their homes" BBC News now whether this is just a sound bite to make people think the Tories have not gone soft on crime, we shall see.

However I welcome his statement and if the law is clarified along these lines then so much the better.

OTT_B 17:48 29 Jun 2011

Quite honestly, I can't see the point in this. The current system seems to work quite well - if the CPS think it should go to court because excessive force may have been used, then lay people decide if you were in the right.

Unless Mr Clarke is going to rewrite the law to say "all force, including force resulting in death of the intruder, irrespective of circumstances, is legal" then what changes?

bremner 17:53 29 Jun 2011

This is nothing more than Ken Clarke bluster.

I predict with some certainty that there will be no difference between the position now and what we will have in two years.

It will simply be made clearer where the boundaries are.

Clarke used an analogy of an elderly lady confronted by a burglar stabbing him to protect herself to show an example of where such force would be within the law.

This would be the case now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?