Sports Colours

laurie53 19:16 08 Nov 2008

I know all about sponsors etc. but could somebody explain why Scotland are apparently playing rugby in England's colours this afternoon?

I know there are patches of dark blue but even the referee is referring to "White"

Quickbeam 19:47 08 Nov 2008

There's a lot of fashion in various sports kits nowadays to make fans buy the replica kit whenever a new one comes out.

The England one also has a lot of colour panels in in it to make it different from the World Cup kit.

I must admit I'd sooner see England in an unsponsored white kit, but that'll never happen again.

But as long as they win next week when I'm there, they can wear pink jumpsuits for me:)

dagbladet 21:23 08 Nov 2008

laurie53
"I know all about sponsors etc."

laurie53
"but could somebody explain why Scotland are apparently playing rugby in England's colours this afternoon?"

because

laurie53
"...sponsors etc."

Quickbeam 08:17 09 Nov 2008

Also Scotland's dark blue home kit is not of sufficient contrast to The All Blacks kit. In Rugby Union it's often done that the home team play in the away kit and to let the visitors play in the home kit.

laurie53 09:29 09 Nov 2008

"Also Scotland's dark blue home kit is not of sufficient contrast to The All Blacks kit."

Absolute nonsense. There was never any problem in the days of black and white tv, or even film newsreels.

The All Blacks are called that because they wear all black.

Scotland, and others, traditionally wore white shorts, and differentiation was easy.

Even Wales and Ireland, whose colours are very similar shades of grey in b&w, could be easily identified.

Quickbeam 09:38 09 Nov 2008

I'll stand correcting if that was Scotland's new home kit.

England played in the predominantly red away kit yesterday because The South Pacific Islands were in their predominantly white home kit. That is the RU convention. When England play NZ, they will both wear their home kits as there is no similarity problem.

Quickbeam 09:46 09 Nov 2008

click here It was their 'alternative' described kit. But I do agree it is too English looking.

Quickbeam 11:47 09 Nov 2008

I do hope they'll be playing in full colour next week, I'd hate to watch a live match in black & white;)

Condom 22:20 09 Nov 2008

All at £50 a pop. What a rip off. These things are made in Thailand and sell over there at about £8- £10. Who is amking all the profit?

Quickbeam 05:35 15 Nov 2008

I must admit that they seem to be taking the convention of wearing away colours at home to a new height with wales playing in their away kit against Canada click here because Canada have red sleeve panels.

Now I'm wondering if England will play in red this afternoon against Australia because they have a white collar on their home kit click here ...?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Acer Predator 21X review

Best Free Video Tutorials for Drawing and Painting

Best podcast apps for iPhone & iPad

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie