SPONSERED LINKS

dave.engsurv 09:18 12 Oct 2004

Mr Forum Editor
Has PCAdvisor joined the SPAM brigade?
What is the difference between "Sponsered Links" and "Popup Adverts"? Do we really nead sponsered links in these forums?
What about a poll on the subject to see what our forum visitors think?
dave

dave.engsurv 09:30 12 Oct 2004

Before anyone tells me off, sorry about the capitals on my first post.

dave

no-name 09:41 12 Oct 2004

dave.engsurv we've been through this before.

The answer - who pays for this free service if advertisers don't sponsor it?

dave.engsurv 09:51 12 Oct 2004

no-name
I may be wrong but how long have these links been on our forums?
I have only just noticed them. If I am right, how did we get this free service before?

GANDALF <|:-)> 09:52 12 Oct 2004

...and you wish to contribute to the expensive running costs of this forum? Hmmmmm, though not.

As lo level advertising is suuuuuch a trauma to you I can assume that you do not buy newspapers/periodicals, watch commercial TV channels and keep your eyes closed when you are out?

Of course you are welcome to benefit us with your experience in raising capital without effect....I may not hold my breath. /eyeys raise

G

dave.engsurv 10:09 12 Oct 2004

GANDALF
At least in newspapers etc I can choose to read the adverts! On this forum if my curser passes over a link the advert blocks out part of the post I am reading!

dave

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:32 12 Oct 2004

Some text being blocked for a second or so and this is all you have to worry about? Looks like this post will be put forward for the 2005 awards.

I ask once more...could we be enlightened as to your solution for funding the forum or how much subscription you are prepared to pay?

G

Sapins 10:40 12 Oct 2004

But you still have to read it! just keep the mouse pointer moving/out of the way, if keeping this forum for free means sponsored links I think you will find virtually no opposition to them, it's not a big problem and some of the ad's are worth reading. Pop-up adverts also help to keep these forums free, so unblock your pop-up stopper for this site, if you use one, you'll get Brownie points from FE as well;-)

This site is one of the very few places you really do get "something for nothing" and it's useful as well :-)

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:50 12 Oct 2004

This site gives you a huge learning and repair resource for nothing. Why not try to give something back and click on the links occassionally? Better still, put up with the MINOR intrusions in the knowledge that you will learn more than any £1/min helpline.

Life is not all take, take, take, take, take, take.

G

spuds 11:00 12 Oct 2004

"At least in newspapers etc I can choose to read the adverts!". Quite true, but you may need to purchase the newspaper first, with the PCA forum you do not purchase, you read for free. Try a good pop-up stopper, that usually works.

Forum Editor 18:24 12 Oct 2004

and the sponsored links have been there for a long time.

I'm afraid that much as we would love to provide a resource like this without any advertising whatsoever, the cruel old world impinges - Waitrose insist that I pay for my shopping each week, and the people who look after our web server want to be paid. In a nutshell - we cannot afford to run the site unless it generates revenue of its own. So, unless everyone fancies sending me a tenner (though not) we'll continue to have advertising. It's hardly what you would call intrusive is it?

"Do we really need to have sponsored links on this forum?"

Yes, we do.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?