Speeding offence, what now?

rickf 15:21 02 Mar 2011

Dear All,
I have apparently been caught on camera exceeding the speerd limit and have just received a Notice of Intended Prosecution form which I have to fill in and return. This will be my first traffic offence ever.
What can I expect and can I plead mitigating circumstances? Thanks in advance of quick replies as I would like to attend to this asap.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:31 02 Mar 2011

If you admit it they will ask for your license to be sent in an you will be fined and endorsed accordingly (3 points).

You can ask for a photo to be sent
If you can prove it wasn't you / your car then no problem.

If you argue and go to court expect a bigger fine / more points.

birdface 15:40 02 Mar 2011

How fast were you going and what was the speed limit on the road.
If only just over the limit there may be a way out but that would be up to the police.

Terry Brown 15:50 02 Mar 2011

Welcome to the joys (?) of motoring.

Terry

Blackhat 16:17 02 Mar 2011

click here

Basic advice in the link.
One of my company drivers had the opportunity to do the speed awareness course.

wids001 16:21 02 Mar 2011

And your insurance will rise!

Forum Editor 16:28 02 Mar 2011

You face an automatic fine and 3 points on your licence, but.... if you plead guilty to the offence (and you really have no choice) you will almost certainly be offered an option:-

1. Pay a fine and have 3 points on your licence (no need to go to court)

OR

2. Attend a short speed awareness course, and walk out with no fine and no points on your licence.

It's a no-brainer really. Accept the offer of the course, it lasts about three hours, and will be held in a hotel or meeting room near where you live. There's no passing or failing involved, attending the course and paying attention is all that is required.

You'll have to pay a fee for the course, and it's usually a bit more than the fine would be (£80 or so), but well worth it. If you speed during the following 3 years and get caught there will be no such option.

Don't plead not guilty and opt to attend court - if you were caught by a camera there will be photographic evidence, and short of proving you were speeding to save a life there are no mitigating circumstances that will be accepted.

peter99co 16:31 02 Mar 2011

Was it a fair cop?

Have you any mitigating cicumstances?

Advice: Pay up and Drive in soft shoes instead of heavy boots

rickf 17:00 02 Mar 2011

Thanks for all the reponses. Will considerb what option to take, pay fine or attend course. Trouble is finding time to attend the course.

rickf 17:10 02 Mar 2011

Was caught driving at 60 in a 50 limit zone. I feel so STUPID as I am not a reckless driver. Wsa just a momentary thing as I was in a hurry to get home having finished work in London w/o noticing the 50mph limit.. Stupid, stupid!!!

bremner 17:30 02 Mar 2011

click here for the Metropolitan Police Driver Awareness Course

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?