Speeding Fine

The Brigadier 16:06 04 Jan 2007

From Sky-News - Thursday January 4, 12:04 PM.

A cab driver has been accused of speeding in his Vauxhall Cavalier - at 420mph! Tom Matthews was snapped in his 12-year-old diesel car in a 30mph zone. He received notice of a £60 fine and three penalty points - and then he saw the recorded speed was 420mph.

"I drive an old Cavalier, not a jumbo jet," Tom, 34, told The Sun. "According to this I've broken the land speed record."

Tom was clocked as he drove a woman home in Newport, Gwent, at 2.20am.

Mid and South Wales Safety Camera Partnership apologised and blamed "an employee processing error".

Tom says he will fight the penalty notice if he has to.

"There has been a printing error. If they insist I was going that fast I should be a Grand Prix driver - I'm wasted in taxis," he said.

Jackcoms 16:32 04 Jan 2007

"blamed "an employee processing error"."

How do you process an employee?

spikeychris 16:36 04 Jan 2007

I haven't seen the story but I take it the error was the zero attached to 42. If this is the case he was till speeding, if he fights the case he ought to have his fine and points doubled. I hate the way people behave, they see a technicality and feel they have a right to appeal.

Grrrr

MichelleC 16:41 04 Jan 2007

spikeychris, he was clocked as he drove a woman home in Newport, Gwent, at 2.20am. No other traffic around.
Haven't you ever speeded? I've gone faster than that in the early hours.
Everything on the ticket has to be spot on or it's void.

Jackcoms 16:44 04 Jan 2007

"I've gone faster than that in the early hours"

What, faster than 420 mph?

hzhzhzhz 18:33 04 Jan 2007

....talking of 420mph,click here

spikeychris 19:33 04 Jan 2007

MichelleC, I cover 60.000 miles a year and I have at times breached the speed limit. I have also received a speeding fine - However I didn't look for a way out, I broke the limit and paid the fine without complaining.

Belatucadrus 19:42 04 Jan 2007

I've never been nabbed for speeding, this is either because I'm a total goody two shoes and never so much as nudge the upper reaches of the limits, or I stay alert for men with pointy hats and radar guns. What the truth is I leave to your imagination.
Should the unpalatable happen I'd definitely check it out as mistakes are not unknown and good citizenship only goes so far.

WhiteTruckMan 21:00 04 Jan 2007

and as such it (the case) should be thrown out, as you cant pick and choose which digits you think should apply.

If you want to get angry, save it for whoever made the screwup in the first place.

WTM

Input Overload 22:49 04 Jan 2007

The way to avoid a speeding fine is to keep to the limits.

Cannuck 00:22 05 Jan 2007

That's another "Urban Legend" that done the rounds in the USA and Canada years ago.
Sorry but it was proved a load of baloney then, as it is now.
Cannuck

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?