Speed camera paranoia pt ll...

Quickbeam 10:09 06 Jun 2007

click here+'should+be+hidden'
Before any naive non-drivers start bleating "If you don't speed you won't get caught", I'm not talking about the 20/30+ mph over the limit speeders.

It's all to easy to creep up & over a speed limit. It's not possible to drive precisely at a speed limit without giving an overly unsafe degree of attention to doing this.

The point being ultimately... you lose your job, house, life, etc, for a minor lapse in concentration.

Does this happen if you shoplift, mug, brawl, molest, etc (generally things that are done knowing full well to be wrong)...? ...Why?

Because courts listen to reason (too much in my opinion). A camera decides you are as guilty as the boy racer, or the mature, but arrogant power motor menace that's never grown up... yes?

Monoux 10:21 06 Jun 2007

Yet another scheme to get more money from the long suffering motorist, whilst the authorities want to let people off with a caution for the sort of offense you have outlined as long as they promise to behave and not do it again.

I despair

Si_l 10:35 06 Jun 2007

I'm not yet driving, I'm just learning at the moment, but I already understand it is very easy to speed accidentally, maybe I haven't got comfortable taking my eyes off the road yet and onto the dashboard, or sometimes you just keep an equal distance from the car in front and they are going over the limit, and then without realising, so are you.

But surely, if anything, the purpose of the speed camera is to make you check your speed, and slow down accordingly. There is no way to enforce this everywhere you drive, but they can at least cut speeds in blackspots.

I'm trying to think now how hidden cameras would help us. When I was a little kid I used to ask my parents this, saying, 'If they want to catch people then hide the cameras, instead of putting signs everywhere and painting them yellow....'
It was always met with the reply that the government aren't trying to catch people out, just make people aware.

Am I not correct in saying that the cameras also need the white line on the road, which helps them to judge speed. Unless they did anything about these lines, hiding the cameras would be pointless.

And then there are Sat-Navs which can identify where cameras are, and they are on road maps, I don't think they would stay hidden for long.

Hiding the cameras could work though, drivers would be more cautious on the roads, but it means more tickets, which means more drivers would get irritated on the roads, which, if anything, causes more accidents.

I think there must be better ways to enforce the speed limit onto drivers. We have the technology to do anything these days. Some cars beep annoyingly when the drivers seatbelt isn't on... could this technique be somehow implemented into the speeding crisis we have?

At the end of the day, the current speed cameras are doing there job, if only at the locations they are placed at. There is room for improvement in the system, but hiding the cameras is not the answer.

DANZIG 10:50 06 Jun 2007

The guy in that newspaper report from South Yorkshire police has just underlined the way that these damn cameras were always intended to be used.

IE Money making devices.

Of COURSE they need to be visible! One - to give people another warning alongside the speed limit sign and two, to warn them they will be snapped if they flout the law.

Making them virtually invisible wiil not increase road safety but will increase the revenue earned from them, which the government might need after July 1st when the revenue gleaned from us poor addicted smokers slowly starts to disappear.

I have been snapped by camera, doing 37 in a 30 zone at half 12 at night and I will hold my hands up to it. A brief lack of concentration on a road just off the M1 at Wakefield. I got fined, got the points and will think a bit more next time I see a camera. Surely THAT is the proper way to use this technology?

wee eddie 11:08 06 Jun 2007

Average speed monitors.

Much more effective on the open road and by Road Works.

All schools should have Speed Cameras on the adjacent roads as should Hospitals.

Quickbeam 12:34 06 Jun 2007

"'you lose your job, house, life, etc, for a minor lapse in concentration.'

It would take more than one 'lapse in concentration' to get enough points to lose your licence which could result in the consequences you describe."

There are a lot of very sensible 'old codgers' around very near to, or already on a ban that have been very safe drivers for decades, that only drive occasionally to the doctors, supermarket etc.

I say again, my point is that WE, as drivers are becoming criminalised by the increasing paranoia of the authorities, trying to target 'dangerous' speeders but taring all with the same brush.

Only recently, Swinton insurance have decided that points for speeding are NOT an indication of driving risk. click here

The CREDIBILITY has long gone on the "speeders are the biggest threat to society as we know it" dreamers.

How paranoid will we all be when every item of street furniture has the potential of this, (can't find the link - out of date) it was a story on cameras being hidden in the poles of street-lamps, traffic light poles, give way signs etc.

OnCall24-7 14:31 06 Jun 2007

Just to quote Forum Member
"Yes, unless you have cruise control operational, your speed may fluctuate a little"

I have cruise control on half the time i drive and even if you set speed to 60 but then end up going up hill or downhill ( only needs to be a very tiny change in elevation ) you can still go over the set speed

Just thought i'd clarify :)

Interesting topic tho

Sethhaniel 15:00 06 Jun 2007

A stretch of road on the border between Scotland and England has been named the "fastest" route in Britain.
The average speed on the A74(M) at Gretna is 72.2mph, according to a study over a 24-hour period by satellite navigation firm Trafficmaster.

click here

So a camera there would make a small fortune ;)

dagbladet 15:21 06 Jun 2007

Average speed monitoring.

During the 70s-80s I used to drive trucks through the old East Germany to Berlin. My time was logged departing the West/East Germany Border and logged again upon arrival in West Berlin. The time allocated for the journey was dependant on the size/weight of the vehicle. Arriving too early suggested that you were 'speeding' and left the driver at the mercy of the RMP. Stopping at services in East Germany was a no-no as my cargo of toilet rolls was vulnerable to Soviet/East German spies. To avoid the wrath of the 'monkeys' (RMP) I would have had to poodle along the Autobahn in a 40 odd foot, 38 ton truck at about 32 MPH. Standard practice was to drive at a sensible speed say 60ish so as not to cause a hazard and pull in to the services to investigate a mysterious noise which always seemed to cure itself after an hour or so.

Chris the Ancient 17:22 06 Jun 2007

But, remember, in most counties, the tolerance on the cameras is +3 mph +10%. That means that you need to be doing over 35 mph in a 30 mph zone to trigger it.

Fact... A pedestrian hit by a car doing 35 mph is 50% more likely to be killed than a pedestrian hit by a car doing 30 mph.

My feeling... if there is speed limit, there is usually (and I stress the 'usually') a good reason for that speed limit being applied. So I will stick to it - whether I agree with it or not. For the sake of a couple of minutes gained by speeding, is it worth the increase in possibility of killing a person or forking out £60 and getting three points on my (clean) licence>

CtA

Quickbeam 17:37 06 Jun 2007

Two sat-navs with camera alert (yes I'm paranoid too), one might know better over the other...

On reflection I will take a day or two, unlike the haste my namesake suggests, to pen my thoughts on the 'difficulty' to maintain a steady speed as is required nowadays...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires