Speaker hires personal spin doctor

oresome 12:00 09 Sep 2009

The appointment was made even though the House of Commons already employs a team of press officers and media advisers who work on behalf of the Speaker.

click here

Cameron is busy advising the media how he will reduce costs in the Commons. This will be a gift to him. I think some politicians have lost the plot.

Technotiger 12:56 09 Sep 2009

For 'spin doctor' read liar!

Which liar dreamed-up the phrase 'spin doctor' in the first place.

As in the Beatles song - "It really gets me going, yeah yeah."

Woolwell 13:01 09 Sep 2009

John Bercow is nominally a Conservative so it may not be a gift to Cameron. In fact the Conservatives didn't want Bercow to be Speaker and perhaps we now know why.
The first job of this spin doctor is to spin about his job.
It is an excess and the Speaker should have known better.

oresome 13:11 09 Sep 2009

How silly of me! For some reason I associated the Speakers position with Labour.

interzone55 15:01 09 Sep 2009

The last couple of Speakers have been from the Labour benches but John Bercow is the Conservative Member for Buckingham.

The Speaker is normally unopposed during General Elections but not this time, as I think a good few people are lining up to stand against him...

interzone55 15:03 09 Sep 2009

by the way, the Tories are just as dirty as the Labour MPs, they just wear different coloured rosettes...

oresome 15:34 09 Sep 2009

Why can't the PR you suggest be done by the existing team of press officers?

I'll accept they didn't do a very good job with the last Speaker. Perhaps one or two of them need replacing rather than getting an extra one to reduce their workload.

Woolwell 15:47 09 Sep 2009

Do we need a "broader external role"? Who decided on that? Still think that it is a waste of money.

spuds 16:04 09 Sep 2009

The more you read, the more you realise that some politicians haven't still got the message about adding further privledges to their lifestyle.

Apparently, there as already been a bit of a spending spree on the grace and favour flat. Now its extra PR personel!.

carver 20:03 09 Sep 2009

Now let's have a look at how he was appointed, did he have to apply for the job and go for an interview along with other candidates, err no.

Is he an old friend of the speaker, er yes.

Did he work to wards getting the speaker elected and did he do it for free, err yes.

Does it look like giving a £100.000.00 job for doing some thing that doesn't need to be done by any one. leave that for you to decide.

Goes back to that old saying, "do as I say not as I do".

Teaboy 09:57 10 Sep 2009

Early am today I went to PC World at Croydon. Couldn't get near the place, their large carpark was cluttered with cars. people were pouring into the store- I left. Anyone know what is happening?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?