Spamming Forums

interzone55 11:20 18 Mar 2009

I've noticed an increasing amount of spam on these forums (fora?).

I spotted one at the top of Helproom this morning, and a couple in Digital World, mainly flogging video & audio conversion software.

How do these people spam the forums? Do they manually copy & paste the text into the boxes, or do they use automatic software.

I'm just interested, not intending to carry out this odious activity...

tullie 11:36 18 Mar 2009

Maybe it wasent spam but ads that PCA were carrying?

rdave13 11:44 18 Mar 2009

I can't see how they can use automatic software as you need to register and log in to all the different forum sites. A tad boring being a spammer.
tullie, just google some of these spammers' forum names and you'll see the repetitions of the spamming.

lotvic 11:52 18 Mar 2009

I believe they are individuals posting.
The spammers earn money when anyone clicks on the links that they have posted - a bit like commission.

sunnystaines 12:00 18 Mar 2009

reg cure software is spammed in threads to such an extent that they trawl up threads over a year old to spam.

wiz-king 12:06 18 Mar 2009

Lotvic - you are correct, there are websites you can join that supply the adverts and record the number of hits you have and you are paid either in money or goods.

That is why the FE would like just one person to comment on them and to notify him via the 'contact forum editor' link (below search box), that way they get removed and we don't make them money.

wiz-king 12:09 18 Mar 2009

Should have put in a link to previous post click here

Forum Editor 17:33 18 Mar 2009

If you spot one of these spam threads I will be grateful if you can post 'Spam - FE notified' and then email me with a link to the thread.

Then others can see that the thread has been reported, and I don't get twenty emails about the same thread. That way we can keep the forum spam-free. We can't stop people spamming us in the first place, but we can certainly make sure that their posts don't remain online for very long.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone