Spam experiment overloads inboxes

Seth Haniel 13:35 01 Jul 2008

click here

Surfing the web unprotected will leave the average web user with 70 spam messages each day, according to an experiment by security firm McAfee.

It invited 50 people from around the world, including five from the UK, to surf without spam filters.

The experiment revealed that UK residents are most likely to be targeted by the infamous Nigerian e-mails and "adult" spam.

One UK participant received 5,414 spam e-mails during the month-long trial.

Cymro. 15:20 01 Jul 2008

I seem to have about a one or two spam messages in my in-box every morning but obviously many more in the spam folder. I never really understood why people make so much of what is after all just a very minor problem that can be got rid of with a couple of clicks of a mouse.

Clapton is God 15:58 01 Jul 2008

"Surfing the web unprotected will leave the average web user with 70 spam messages each day"

70??

Is that all?

If only I was so lucky (and I'm fully 'protected').

Managing ed 16:30 01 Jul 2008

they were given fresh email addresses:

click here

(What do you mean, linking to my own story?)

Testing established inboxes would throw up a lot more spam. Still, more than a thousand in the first week an email address exists is terrifying.

spuds 11:11 02 Jul 2008

I think that I conducted my own spamming exercise recently. Filled in a few on-line enquiry forms for insurances and the like, and my in-box suddenly increased considerably with offers of all sorts of services and bargains. The easy give away, was that some of the emails contained my direct name details.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Nokia 8 vs Galaxy S8

Best new design books 2017: From vintage infographics to the the psychology of type

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie