Sometimes you can try too hard

zzzz999 05:55 15 Nov 2010

As part of the remembrance weekend, Aidrie Football club issued its own special remembrance football programme. Can anyone spot the mistake?

click here

g0slp 07:20 15 Nov 2010

Oops...

""The interesting thing is that it is not the first time a matchday programme has linked Airdrie to German soldiers""

morddwyd 08:16 15 Nov 2010

While there were many dyed in the wool Nazis, there were just as many young boys doing what they thought was right for their country, just like ours.

They, too, are worthy of remembrance.

g0slp 08:51 15 Nov 2010

They are indeed, morddwyd.

However, it does seem a little strange that Aidrie used that photo - were there not other file pictures available?

Forum Editor 18:34 15 Nov 2010

Well said.

At its height, membership of the Nazi party was around 8.5 million. In 1939 the total population of Germany was 79 million.

Wartime propaganda tended to encourage everyone in Britain to consider everyone in Germany as a Nazi, but it wasn't true. The German army discouraged party membership for a long time, and many German soldiers were doing exactly what you said - fighting for their country. They probably had little idea of many of the things being done by the Hitler regime.

Bingalau 21:50 15 Nov 2010

I lost a very good German friend last year, He and I were the same age and got on like a house on fire. He spent his war years in the Hitler Youth I spent mine evacuated to the country. I met him in Australia as he was then an Australian Citizen. His wife was German also but his children were and still are damn good Aussie citizens. Some of the stories he told me about his time in the Hitler Youth were astonishing and astounding. He "Werner Boehme" was the first Australian to refuse to swear allegiance to the Queen. He said he wouldn't do so because he had once swore allegiance to a single person in Germany and did not intend to make the same mistake again. shortly after that Australia changed the oath of allegiance to a much better one where you swear allegiance to the country... I miss Werner a lot, we were good mates.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?