Something good from EU?

bri-an 09:32 14 Jul 2010

click here

Excellent news.
Much bigger protection coming for savers - the EU isn't always bad, then?

johndrew 10:19 14 Jul 2010

This figure is exchange rate dependent. Although the 'current' figure would be around £83.5k at the older rate it would have been £62.5k.

In the future the exchange rate could exceed €2 to the £ which would leave savers worse off. You could argue that such a link is a little like oil being sold in US$ and the exchange effect on the price of fuel here. Is it not better to have a 'safety net' linked solely to our £ rather than something else?

bri-an 10:30 14 Jul 2010

Agreed, it would be better to be £ linked, but I still feel it will better our present £50k and reduce the number of separate accounts needing to be opened, for 'safety'.

If the £ does get to 2Euros then I'll be on holiday so much I probably wouldn't care, anyway!! (;-))

Grey Goo 10:43 14 Jul 2010

I think most people would be really chuffed if they had only one account containing £50K. It would be interesting to see what the distribution of savings around the EU actually is.

bri-an 10:52 14 Jul 2010

Appreciate that, but when a house is sold you can be suddenly sitting on £300k+, even if only for a limited time, and finding six or seven accounts is a trial. Cutting down that number helps.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?