Some poor innocent about to go through hell

Seth Haniel 10:14 27 May 2008

click here

An unwitting passenger arriving at Japan's Narita airport has received 142g of cannabis after a customs test went awry, officials say.

A customs officer hid a package of the banned substance in a side pocket of a randomly chosen suitcase in order to test airport security.

Sniffer dogs failed to detect the cannabis and the officer could not remember which bag he had put it in.

"This case was extremely regrettable. I would like to deeply apologise," said Narita International Airport's customs head Manpei Tanaka.

-------------
The unlucky victim may already be on their way to some other port with strict/dark ages regime and spend the rest of their days in jail -

Just crossed Japan off my places to visit.

newman35 10:34 27 May 2008

Hear, hear!

The poor old 'officer' who did it will be very popular withe the Japanese tourist board.

Surely not too difficult to alert every airline/airport that had a plane arrive that day and explain the circumstances?

newman35 10:36 27 May 2008

should have been "arrive that day FROM Narita"

spuds 11:22 27 May 2008

I was in South East Asia once, when I found a sealed bag of a few kilograms of 'white powder' in the toilet water tank at the hotel I was using. Long story, but that particular country as the death sentence for drug dealers. The death penalty is still used on a regular basis, usually the courts decisions are shown via the worldwide media, especially if its about or concerns foreigners.

peter99co 11:32 27 May 2008

I only find spiders in mine and they get Flushed Away!

Seth Haniel 11:43 27 May 2008

all the side pouches and pockets on suitcases,
in Malaga airport there is a machine for wrapping your case in clingfilm so to seal it, so at least you know if its been tampered with.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?