Some people will get a letter from a law firm

Forum Editor 07:49 28 Nov 2009

early in the new year. It will allege that they have been involved in the illegal sharing of films and games, and will suggest they might want to settle the matter out of court by making a payment of several hundreds of pounds.

click here for further information.

I would be very interested to hear from anyone who receives one of these letters.

birdface 08:44 28 Nov 2009

Fed up warning my daughter about this.
Her kids seem to download what they want and never think of the outcome even though they have been warned.
No letters yet but I will not be surprised if she gets one.

jack 09:25 28 Nov 2009

What reciprocal action I could take against the sender- to discover the source of their information.
As I have never 'file shared' or downloaded anything of a'copyrighted' nature- could this be construed as attempting to obtain mmoney fraudulently/with mananaces or any other form of illegal extraction that comes to mind?

GANDALF <|:-)> 09:39 28 Nov 2009

'The amount would vary, he said, but was typically £300-500'. Seems like a bargain to me.

G

namtas 09:54 28 Nov 2009

I would be asking my solicitor to obtain dates, times and back up information to support any claim. It looks like a invite for all of the extortionist to send out more scam mail.

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:19 28 Nov 2009

It would appear that one firm has already been dropped as they *ahem* appear to have sent letters to people who were *ahem*, innocent.

G

Forum Editor 10:44 28 Nov 2009

has a Hanover Square address, and a pretty comprehensive website. There's some interesting information on it.

click here

Hercule Marple 11:14 28 Nov 2009

Is this actually an official government campaign to combat dodgy file sharing, or is it some sort of private extortion racket? Or a bit of both, or neither?

Input Overload 11:26 28 Nov 2009

I assume paying the amount demanded would then make you the legal user of your downloaded material?

Seth Haniel 11:28 28 Nov 2009

"Mr Crossley admitted the account holder may not be the person sharing files illegally. As a result, he said, the letter, would also invite the recipient to name the person they thought was responsible."

If you get a letter, just send it back with Mr Crossley in the named responsible part .

;)

Forum Editor 11:35 28 Nov 2009

It's nothing to do with the government, and it's not a private extortion racket.

It's a move by copyright holders to rattle the sword, if you like, by scaring that sector of the online community which is responsible for the bulk of illegal file distribution.

Any proceedings that result will be civil ones, although it is possible to bring criminal proceedings in cases of copyright theft.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?