Solaris 10 is available - free!

LastChip 23:52 03 Feb 2005

For those odd balls (like myself) that like to try alternative operating systems, Sun is now offering its Solaris 10 operating system on a free download. click here

It is hoped to encourage wider usage, particularly by the open source community, where Linux is now the most widespread system. This in turn, should encourage more developer participation; an area where Sun is falling behind. Apparently, the system can be downloaded as multiple CD's or one DVD, so I wonder what, if anything, is attached in the way of additional applications?

Sethhaniel 08:41 04 Feb 2005

and the different rates of subscription -training - certification - etc etc etc ;)

LastChip 11:40 04 Feb 2005

The actual download and use is free.

If you want training or certification for Windows or even Linux, you will have to pay for it. If you want support for these systems, you will have to pay, so I fail to see the difference.

Or am I missing something?

You can gain most of the knowledge you need via the Internet or via a decent book at minimal cost. Certainly, a lot less than a standard edition of XP Home would cost you!

But of course, each of these is in a totally different market, with Solaris being a professional system predominantly for operating data base servers.

BIG Ben strikes 10 again! 16:58 04 Feb 2005

Thanks LastChip i shall try it sometime

but first i think ill download it ;-)

fitcher 20:12 05 Feb 2005

when you said solaris I thought you meant the game ..remember it was good ,still have the demos ...I got full suse 9 .1.pro,, of the linux mag and it runs a treat,,(one dvd ) in fact over the years I have had all types of free linux off them ..(sorry for the plug P.C.A.)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?