Sob Story

BT 07:42 10 May 2009

Seems you can get away with using your Mobile and avoid a driving ban if you can think up a good enough convincing Sob Story.

click here

crosstrainer 07:49 10 May 2009

This just illustrates the inconsistency in our legal system. The law is the law. He should have considered the implications of what he was doing, and the judge clearly has this one wrong. What is the point of the police bringing these cases to court if this type of judgement is what they get?

“In the space of five months he has committed the same offence three times

Three? Ludicrous outcome!

Noldi 07:58 10 May 2009

I wonder what the court will do if he caused hardship for another family if he had caused an accident?

Noldi

crosstrainer 08:03 10 May 2009

Which is exactly why the law is in place. I still see people, talking, texting on a daily basis. It's such a no brainer....Of course it distracts you from driving.

I have a fully fitted on board hands free system in my car (cuts in through the hi fi system) but rarely even have my phone on whilst driving...It's not like having a conversation with a passenger, and I still find it distracting.

BT 08:09 10 May 2009

I agree totally.
If it had been you or me we'd probably not have got away with it.

I was coming out of the doctors last week at about 8.45am after an early appointment with my wife, and behind me was a car with a woman and three teenage schoolgirls. The car stayed behind me all the way home - I live near the school - and all the time the woman was on her mobile, and none of the kids were wearing seatbelts although the driver was. At one point when stopped at a junction the driver was drinking from a water bottle.

It amazes me that a person can't manage a 5-10 min. trip without having to talk on the phone and drink water, and fail to make her passengers use the seatbelts. Knowing how modern youngsters are its probably not 'cool' to use the seatbelts when your mates are around! My car doesn't move until all my passengers have fastened their seatbelts.

newman35 08:16 10 May 2009

Let me say, on the face of it this does seem a lenient outcome.

However, with all case judgements I invariably say to myself that I was not in the court, and had not seen or heard the defence.

Thus, I hesitate to jump in and call 'foul'!

Our legal system has seemingly worked reasonably OK over the years, and many rulings have been able to be compassionate due to the licence granted to magistrates, judges etc. Some 'odd' results may surface from time to time, but without actually being there, it's difficult to judge.

crosstrainer 08:22 10 May 2009

I have held a totally clean driving licence since I was 17 (many many moons ago I turned 57 yesterday)

How did I achieve this? Simple. By obeying the law. Yes I own a high performance luxury car, but do not drive like a lunatic on the road. I have been goaded many times at traffic lights recently by the "wanna race"? brigade.

Not interested. My wife also held a clean licence all her life by adopting the same philosophy.

BT 08:23 10 May 2009

I too, rarely have my phone on when in the car, and only then if my wife is with me and I am expecting a particular call and she can answer it. Otherwise it is switched off and in my pocket.

I'm sure many people don't know how to switch the things off. How often have you seen people sitting in Doctors/Hospital waiting rooms answering their phones in front of those notices asking you to turn them off. I'm sure they think it means that you shouldn't make calls but its OK to receive them.

crosstrainer 08:26 10 May 2009

Now there is another one....Having had cause to attend hospital a lot during my DVT illness, I was appalled by the fact that nearly everyone was using mobiles on the ward. Huge clear signs in multilingual format clearly stated that they were to be switched off.

All ignored them.

BT 08:42 10 May 2009

Same here. I passed my test in 1971 and I'm 64. I have a car and motor cycle license and have had a clean license for all that time. I've only ever been involved in one accident and that was when a coach ran into the back of my motorcycle in stationary traffic when his airbrakes failed. Minimal damage paid for by the coach firm. I've never claimed on my insurance.

Ok, I admit I've exceeded the speed limit a few times, haven't we all, but not to the point where it caused any danger to anyone. I've been stopped by the police a couple of times but only for a blown light bulb, and I've never been breathalyzed.

I'm not a goody-goody, just like you I obey the rules, and I sometimes get a bit annoyed with other drivers doing stupid things, but that's as far as it goes. The problem these days is that people are taught to drive agressively from what my son was telling me about his driving lessons, not defensively as we were taught in the 70's.

BT 08:50 10 May 2009

Its about time tha law was changed so that places like hospitals and even private premises could if they wished install Faraday cages or other equipment to limit the use of mobile phones on those premises. I think its wrong that its illegal to do this at the moment.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone