So you think 512KBs is fast, how about 8MBs?

LastChip 23:06 09 Aug 2004

It seems South Korea is one of the leading places on earth for Broadband and even the smallest villages have access. click here

Here we are in the UK, still worrying about the cost of providing a service to all of our communities. How far are we going to slip behind? Who IS the third world nation I wonder?

Sometimes in spite of being a true Englishman and proud of my Country, I despair!

jonnytub 23:21 09 Aug 2004

a lot is down to the network in the uk, ageing i believe. Hmm, what could i do with an 8mbit connection, the mind wanders !!!

Forum Editor 23:58 09 Aug 2004

You may well despair, but you might depair a little more if you were faced with maintaining the UK's complex and ageing Telecoms network.

Later developing countries have one big advantage when it comes to telecoms - they have no legacy networks. This means they can buy straight into the latest technology and leapfrog the rest of us (work that is often funded by foreign aid). Very often it's BT engineers who instal this equipment in far-flung spots, and I well remember an occasion when I was being driven through the countryside in a Central African country. I was going to talk to a group of people in the tourist industry about web sites and marketing, and as we went through a village I suddenly spotted a phone kiosk standing quite alone in the dust. I asked the driver to stop, and walked over to take a look. The kiosk was a state-of-the art satellite phonebox, and I could have dialled direct to New York with my credit card. The driver thought the whole thing was hilarious - he said that he doubted if there was anyone within twenty miles who had a credit card, let alone the need to make an international phone call, but there it was - the technology would be there when it was needed.

We're different - we all have phones and credit cards, and we make illions of international calls. What we don't have is that 'clean slate' situation on the telecoms front, and BT's life is far more involved because of it.

Forum Editor 23:59 09 Aug 2004

they must be off-peak millions.

Charence 00:07 10 Aug 2004

our friends and relatives in Hong Kong keep have 10Mb BB in their flat and say to us on MSN that 512K isn't REAL BB!

However, I am satisfied and the servers I FTP to rarely go anywhere near 512Kbps, so with 576kbps or 10Mb or 8Mb, I don't think it would make much difference.

Charence

Charence 00:08 10 Aug 2004

ignore "keep" should say "...Kong have...."

LastChip 00:28 10 Aug 2004

Although BT have been investing in Broadband, it's still a sort of patch up job. The equipment is going into most exchanges, but the last mile is through marginal copper cable, that may (or may not) be within range.

The government spouts on about leading Europe in Broadband Technology, but it's all nonsense to anyone who bothers to look outside of Britain.

Even the USA, in spite of it's size seems to manage 1MBs as a standard offering.

Some of us have access to cable. Wow! Fibre Optics, but still, no cable company even thinks about the sort of speeds seen in South Korea. So even where the infrastructure exists, we still cannot enjoy state of the art communication.

I'm afraid, we live in a Country that is paranoid about short term profit, and anything that will take a few years to recover, does not even reach the Radar Screen.

But mark my words; it will catch up with our children and they will pay dearly for our lack of investment today. A little more give, and a little less take, would work wonders for our Country.

GANDALF <|:-)> 00:29 10 Aug 2004

I fail to see how many lives will be changed by having an GazillionMb connection. 512k is more than enough for the world and his wife. However I think that UK gamers may be topping themselves in droves or emigrating to South Korea....on the bright side this would not be too bad a thing ;-)))))

G

Lead 10:55 10 Aug 2004

I got my best ever pings years ago with my first bb connection, which was 512k iirc. I'm now on 3mb. Just goes to show, it doesn't matter what speed you're quoted as having, if you're sharing it with too many people.

smokingbeagle 19:15 10 Aug 2004

Does anyone know why BT is entitled to dictate contention rates to all ADSL ISPs? When researching the offerings of different ISPs, I frequently came across statements like "..BT rules require this service to have a contention rate of 50:1"

Dorsai 21:13 10 Aug 2004

What are you actually going to do with a 8Whatsit bit connection. I have 3x BB and find my needs are met. Ok so a web page arrives in .1 of a second insted of 1 second. It takes 3 minutes to read the page. Then more to realise that the link was irrelevent. sounds like driving a f1 racing car in a traffic jam on the M25.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone