So who can we trust?

GANDALF <|:-)> 22:46 28 May 2010

click here
If the person who holds the UK's purse strings seems to be a little *ahem* 'confused' *ahem* to the tune of £40k, about expenses, what chance for the rest of us lowly serfs? I'm taking bets on what excuse he will use to weasel his way out of this mess.........One hopes that the Daily Telegraph will go for the jugular.

G

GANDALF <|:-)> 22:55 28 May 2010

“My motivation throughout has not been to maximise profit but to simply protect our privacy and my wish not to reveal my sexuality.”

He typically claimed between £50 and £150 a month for utilities and £100 to £200 for maintenance. Receipts were not provided to back up the claims. However, in April 2008, the rules were changed and MPs had to provide receipts for any claims above £25. Mr Laws’s expense claims dropped sharply. For example, he claimed only £37 a month for utilities.' I'm sure that when independent scrutiny was applied that Laws suddenly found that all his utility bills miraculously diminished. Odd that mine seem to have been sky-rocketing at the same time.

and it gets even better.....“Although we were living together we did not treat each other as spouses'. Oh how my sides are aching from laughing at the poor boy's naivety and bewilerment. He seems an ideal choice for the post of Chief Secretary to the Treasury unless I am missing something.

G

Forum Editor 22:56 28 May 2010

his resignation must be the only acceptable course of action.

al's left peg 22:59 28 May 2010

He could be the shortest serving minister in history.

hssutton 23:18 28 May 2010

having just read this story in the Telegraph, my first thought where to pop over to Speakers Corner.

I wonder how many more cases will come to light.

As the FE says surely he must go, it would appear that most of our elected leaders have no idea about the real world.

GANDALF <|:-)> 23:37 28 May 2010

I would suggest that another Draconian purge of these thieving creeps is well overdue and that no prisoners are taken.

G

Snec 23:46 28 May 2010

So who can we trust?

I suspect you know the answer to that as well as I do.

Quickbeam 06:13 29 May 2010

Seems like they all thought that the election was a watershed amnesty on the expenses racket, are there anymore skeletons left to rattle... anywhere?

zzzz999 07:01 29 May 2010

so he wanted to protect his sexuality and was faced with 2 choices. 1) Say nothing and claim nothing, no one involved or 2) rip off the tax payer and hope no one notices.

Now am not trained in the techniques of high level strategic thinking but I think I have spotted a flaw in the eventual decision.

Al94 07:49 29 May 2010

If he's still in his job by the end of today, the new coalition will have lost credibility.

Forum Editor 08:43 29 May 2010

is that anyone is surprised when human nature reveals itself in this way. Throughout history leading social and political figures have shown themselves to be just like the rest of us - riddled with human frailties.

Anyone who thinks that such failings can be eradicated from the ranks of those who govern is deluded - it has never been done, and can never be done. This man should resign, but he may try to cling on; his attempts should be ignored. If he broke the rules governing parliamentary expenses he should lose his job immediately.

There will be other cases of people reminding us that politicians are just as prone to weakness as the rest of us, and when it happens it's as well to resist the temptation to gloat.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017