So which is best then diesel or petrol?

Cymro. 13:09 21 Jun 2008

click here

The above article refers to the higher price of diesel compared to petrol and goes in to the economics of running a car with one fuel against the other.

So can anyone tell me the following,
why is diesel more expensive then petrol?

Of the two fuels which causes the less damage to the environment?

If one is better than the other for the environment would it be a good idea for the tax to be reduced on that particular fuel so as to encourage people to make more use of it so as to cause less damage to the environment?

Kemistri 13:41 21 Jun 2008

Some things have changed recently that have combined to reduce diesel production, which naturally puts the price up. There's the transfer of some refineries to petrol production, the move to ULSD (ultra-low sulphur) and the closure of some diesel refineries (I don't know the details of that).

ULSD has helped a lot, but diesel still contains toxic nanoparticles and fine soot. I'm not aware of any direct comparisons, probably because of the different substances and carcinogens in each type of fuel, but I'm sure that info is available somewhere.

Diesel is more economical because of its density (about 15% more) and its energy content (about 11% more).

Bingalau 13:57 21 Jun 2008

I've just got this from an e-mail and as it seems every little helps these days I thought I would share it with you all

TIPS ON PUMPING GAS
I don't know what you guys are paying for gasoline.... but here in
California we are paying up to $3.75 to $4.10 per gallon. My line of work is in
petroleum for about 31 years now, so here are some tricks to get more of your
money's worth for every gallon:

Here at the Kinder Morgan Pipeline where I work in San Jose, CA we deliver
about 4 million gallons in a 24-hour period thru the pipeline.. One day is
diesel the next da y is jet fuel, and gasoline, regular and premium grades. We
have 34-storage tanks here with a total capacity of 16,800,000 gallons.

Only buy or fill up your car or truck in the early morning when the ground
temperature is still cold. Remember that all service stations have their
storage tanks buried below ground. The colder the ground the more dense the
gasoline, when it gets warmer gasoline expands, so buying in the afternoon or in
the evening....your gallon is not exactly a gallon. In the petroleum
business, the specific gravity and the temperature of the gasoline, diesel and jet
fuel, ethanol and other petroleum products plays an important role.

A 1-degree rise in temperature is a big deal for this business. But the
service stations do not have temperature compensation at the pumps.

When you're filling up do not squeeze the trigger of the nozzle to a fast
mode. If you look you will see that the trigger has three (3) stages: low,
middle, and high. You should be pumping on low mode, thereby minimizing the
vapors that are created while you are pumping. All hoses at the pump have a
vapor return If you are pumping on the fast rate, some of the liquid that goes
to your tank becomes vapor. Those vapors are being sucked up and back into
the underground storage tank so you're getting less worth for your money.

One of the most important tips is to fill up when your gas tank is HALF
FULL. The reason for this is the more gas you have in your tank the less air
occupying its empty space. Gasoline evaporates faster than you can imagine.
Gasoline storage tanks have an internal floating roof. This roof serves as zero
clearance between the gas and the atmosphere, so it minimizes the evaporation.
Unlike service stations, here where I work, every truck that we load is
temperature compensated so that every gallon is actually the exact amount.

Another reminder, if there is a gasoline truck pumping into the storage
tanks when you stop to buy gas, DO NOT fill up; most likely the gasoline is
being stirred up as the gas is being delivered, and you might pick up some of the
dirt that normally settles on the bottom.

GANDALF <|:-)> 14:01 21 Jun 2008

The above 'email' contains so many innaccuracies that it is laughable, it is almost pure fiction.....click here

G

Stuartli 16:07 21 Jun 2008

The simple reason for diesel prices being higher than petrol (by far more even that till quite recently) is that the increasing rise in diesel vehicles ownership has outstripped the supply/availability of diesel fuel.

As supply and demand controls prices, diesel has thus increased in price at the pumps.

day2strike 16:37 21 Jun 2008

Depends on the engine?

WhiteTruckMan 16:52 21 Jun 2008

about temperatures and volumes. Thats why aircraft are always filled in so many pounds of fuel (or kilograms for you johnny come lately's). Without mentioning any names, I used to see a BN-2 Islander come back from a days flying, and be filled to the brim for the following days work from underground tanks, only to see it streaming off the wings thanks to expansion by mid morning if there was some hold up for flying. All aircraft have specified weight limits for fuel vs payload, but because this didnt operate anywhere near MGW they just 'filled it up'.

WTM

Forum Editor 18:19 21 Jun 2008

that petrol volumes increase in high temperatures and decrease in low ones, but the difference is so slight as to be negligible as far as car drivers are concerned.

There have been many proposals to introduce Automatic Temperature Compensation technology in petrol stations, but so far the cost of installing and operating the equipment far outweighs any advantage for either retailer or consumer - it's just not worth bothering about, although as petrol prices climb ever higher the day might come.

As far as I'm aware no country has introduced manadatory Temperature compensation at the point of sale, although in the UK it is used by oil companies when they exchange supplies between themselves, for obvious reasons.

Grey Goo 21:56 21 Jun 2008

I think all the F1 fuelers are temperature regulated to stop any fuel density advantage.

WhiteTruckMan 22:09 21 Jun 2008

of F1 rules and regs - I bet someone on here does though- but I would have thought a fuel weight limit would be easier to enforce than a fuel temperature limit.

Assuming you are talking about a standard fuel composition for all teams.

WTM

Kemistri 00:08 22 Jun 2008

I'm very familiar with the regs.

Article 6.5.4 states that fuel intended for immediate use in a car must not be more than 10 degrees C below ambient temperature. The ambient temp is taken an hour before each session.

Until that amendment last year, cooling was starting to become quite widespread.

The flow is regulated as well; 12.1 litres per second max.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?