So What's A Wasted Vote?

Quickbeam 09:14 22 Apr 2010

So far I've had both Labour and Tory canvassers at the door, both of them making a point, of making the point, that voting for any candidate other than theirs, is a wasted vote.

The notion of a wasted vote and a tactical vote seem to have crept in over the last 15 or so years. Prior to that, they all accepted the vote for me regardless ideal was the right way.

OK, I know a tactical vote is to vote not necessarily for your first choice, but to use it to vote out a particular candidate.

But the notion of someone telling me on the doorstep that a vote for anyone other than them, is a wasted vote, is quite insulting.

Anyone that makes an effort to place a vote has expressed an opinion on what's on offer. They've made a statement, that will be counted and stored for use later when the political analysers set to.

To place a different vote in any parties contested seats is not in anyway wasted, but says to me, that the favoured 'first past the post' system, doesn't always suit those that advocate it so strongly.

Do they want jam on both sides in the swinging wards?

morddwyd 09:27 22 Apr 2010

Only two parties have so far asked for my vote, by stuff through the door rather than personal contact, - the Lib Dems (the incumbents) and UKIP.

Not much of a choice on who to waste my vote on!

Chegs ®™ 09:54 22 Apr 2010

My household can't fit in with any of the candidates as I've never seen any of them in the flesh,but I can "discuss" with them through the letters page of the local.I have noticed quite a number of BNP leaflets being used in windows around the estate(probably due to having had a lousy Labour council for all my voting lifetime)

hssutton 10:04 22 Apr 2010

What's a wasted vote, surely one that isn't used.

Living in a rural area we never see any canvessers of any political persuassion, but usually receive pamphlets from Labour and Tory candidates.

If one did appear and said "that a vote for anyone other than them, is a wasted vote" I would politely tell them to get stuffed. I agree it would be quite insulting.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:12 22 Apr 2010

A wasted vote is one you DON'T use.

All "used" votes count, either for or against the elected candidate. This is why they canvass so hard.

People vote for who they think will do the most for them rather and probably don't think about who will do the best for the country as a whole.

I know people have fought long and hard for the right to vote however I believe that everyone should have to earn that right.

spuds 11:27 22 Apr 2010

A wasted vote (on another party or person)usually suggests that the candidate considers that they offer the very best that you will get or expect, after all, we are all possible morons for not understanding politics in its present trend and tidal waves ;o((

Up to date we have only had 3 leaflets (BNP, Labour, Green. No other party from long list of others) and no actual on door-step representation from any of the party's or candidates.

Considering that we have both the general as well as local elections on the same day, and some of the present councillor's are fighting for Parliamentary seats in other areas, then I would probably assume that we have no hopes of seeing a councillor within the next 'when'.

So is it a wasted vote or a wasted person and party. That I suppose is present day politicians for you?.

Joseph Kerr 12:57 22 Apr 2010

A wasted vote is one for a party who stand no chance of getting in.

However, some would say you should vote for whoever you believe in as a matter of integrity.

I cant agree that a wasted vote is a vote unused as such, as unless i find a party i agree with as much as my natural party (who are winding me up rather), i may choose not to bother.

I believe that "to withdraw in disgust" is not the same as apathy".

WhiteTruckMan 13:07 22 Apr 2010

I make no reference to any kind of wasted voting. I merely remind people that it's *their* vote, not the party vote.

WTM

WhiteTruckMan 13:09 22 Apr 2010

that abstaining from voting is a perfectly legitimate choice.

Unfortunately there does not exist any means of differentiating that choice from those who simply cant be bothered.

WTM

Joseph Kerr 13:32 22 Apr 2010

Quite agree, WTM.

sunnystaines 07:48 23 Apr 2010

i miss the days when the candidates would go door to door

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Intel Coffee Lake release date and specifications

12 Amazing British Craft Beer Label Designs

watchOS 4 review

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017