So what would YOU tax in the future

WhiteTruckMan 08:53 13 Mar 2009

The recent minor controvosy over the GP wanting to (increase) the taxation on chocolate set me thinking. Whatever party is in power in the next 10-15 years is going to have to lay its hands on some serious extra cash thanks to the banking collapse and this administrations willingness to expose the taxpayer to massive amounts of debt.

So what would you like to see a tax on? or increased? Tobacco? petrol? wages? Or something a little more imaginative. Personally I'd like to see more tax on packaging (think about easter eggs as an example).

Any suggestions?

WTM

Seth Haniel 10:01 13 Mar 2009

I'd tax all drivers that refuse to use their indicators.

That would get the economy back on its feet ;)

Grey Goo 12:17 13 Mar 2009

You never know who reads these posts, don't give the establishment any more ideas for taxation.

dagnammit 12:18 13 Mar 2009

Oxygen...

Get your lung capacity tested every 12 months and then pay for you air.

Quickbeam 12:19 13 Mar 2009

"That's a way for a government to boost income now and leave someone else to worry about how to fund the cost in 20-30 years time."

Isn't that why we have a pensions crisis now...?

wiz-king 12:35 13 Mar 2009

Mobile phones and MP3 players used outside any building.

cream. 12:42 13 Mar 2009

Sugar, salt and convenience frozen meals.

peter99co 13:33 13 Mar 2009

I thought a tax was already on Food. It is VAT

The list of foods taxed just needs to be better managed.

Basic food is VAT free is it not.

oresome 13:37 13 Mar 2009

Quantative easing will result in inflation which devalues the pound in your pocket. Hardest hit will be those who saved real pounds whilst working and are now retired.

Stuartli 14:35 13 Mar 2009

>>Hardest hit will be those who saved real pounds whilst working and are now retired.>>

Future tense wrong. Present tense correct...:-)

cream. 15:35 13 Mar 2009

should be taxed the same as cigs and beer.

If sugar was £5 a bag you would use it sparingly, same as if a tub of salt was a fiver. Things like chocolate, cakes, crisps etc. would be a treat and not the norm.

Manufacturers who load these flavourings into products would find them difficult to sell at an increased price. You would find none of those 4 for £3 ready meals in the supermarket freezers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?