So what makes you happy?

canarieslover 20:43 08 Feb 2010

Could you give up everything like this man? click here It doesn't even look as if he will have access to broadband where he's going, but it won't matter if he doesn't have a computer.

morddwyd 21:20 08 Feb 2010

It's the old story - money might not make you happy, but at least you can be miserable in comfort.

Quickbeam 21:26 08 Feb 2010

I'd be happier if he just gave it to me:)

robgf 00:03 09 Feb 2010

Interestingly, to amuse myself, I work part time (self employed) doing gardening and in the winter DIY.
My customers are almost all either quite well off, or poor OAPs, who get the work paid for by the social. I have noticed that the rich customers tend to be far more miserable and often seem rather lonely, as people in big houses seem rather cut off from their neighbours and they are all worried what people will think about the house and garden not being tidy etc.
The poorer customers always seem to have more family and friends and be far happier.
The poorer customers all know my name and almost always offer me a cup of tea and biscuits. The rich ones rarely do and usually refer to me as "hey you".

I must admit that I always thought that if I won the lottery, I would buy a nice house with a big garden. But having worked in some of these "posh" houses, I would not want to live there.

Awshum 00:45 09 Feb 2010

Money would make me happy. It would eradicate all the financial stresses/commitments I have and would allow me and my family to experience more like foreign travel.

What really makes me happy are my wife and children and I'd certainly wanna be rather be poor with them than rich without, but rich with my family? That would be awesome.

wolfie3000 03:06 09 Feb 2010

Ah money the 2nd worst cause of hatred and war on the planet.

What makes me happy?

Perfect world, Halo, anime, sex, smoking, my friends and knowing that at least one person on this planet loves me for who i am.

Cymro. 12:18 09 Feb 2010

Yes obviously I agree that money does not bring happiness, but surely a man of obvious intelligence like this one could find some way to keep himself occupied. Has he really seen and done all that is to be done in this great big world of ours?

I have heard people say "been there, done that got the t shirt" but there is always something left for us or we may as well kick our clogs right now.

I think the whole thing rather sad and my guess is that sooner or latter he will be so bored that he will start all over again make another fortune and perhaps give that away to charity as well. Still that would be more positive than to just give up on life as he now seems to have done.

Input Overload 13:18 09 Feb 2010

Don't forget today is 'Patch Tuesday' the highlight of any decent PCA Forum posters month. Life just wouldn't be the same without it.

Legolas 13:36 09 Feb 2010

They say that money is the root of all evil, that of course is the often misquoted passage from the bible; Timothy 6:10 says "for the LOVE of money is the root of all evil" It's not how much money you have that determines if you are happy or not it's what you do with that money.

Input Overload 14:43 09 Feb 2010

I agree 100% with you there Legolas.

DANZIG 16:00 09 Feb 2010

People say that money doesn't make you happy. Personally if I won enough money not to have to work ever again, make me and mine comfortable and be able to enjoy all this world has to offer without worrying about being able to afford it......I might have a slight grin on my face.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017