So Prince Harry's not going to Iraq

Legolas 18:47 16 May 2007

I have just heard on the National News that the powers that be have decided Harry will not be going to Iraq after all.

Personally I believe they have made the right decision, had he went his presence would have put the troops round about him in more danger than they are already in. I also believe Harry genuinely wanted to go and is said to be very disappointed.

If the decision makers had thought this through it would never have been announced a while ago he was definitely going now it just makes them look incompetent.

Forum Editor 18:51 16 May 2007

there's a surprise.

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:59 16 May 2007

'had he went his presence would have put the troops round about him in more danger than they are already in'..this would also apply to the various Govt. leaders that have also visited Iraq then?

I am flabbergasted, I would never have guessed in a million years. I assume that other soldiers will now not be sent to Iraq. I also assume that he has wasted his rather expensive training but I suppose he could trot around the local schools giving talks of dering-do and generally boosting the flagging optimism of the populace by doing a few (safe) hospital openings .../eyes raise higher than ever.

G

Legolas 19:04 16 May 2007

GANDALF <|:-)> The politicians that visit are normally in and out quickly plus their visit has not been announced on all the news channels.

Harry's impending deployment had been well publisised giving the insurgents plenty of time to plan their attacks, also Harry was going to be their for some time not just in and out in an afternoon.

ulrich 19:04 16 May 2007

Once again the powers that be have in all their glory made a wrong decision from beginning to end.
They have once again made this country a laughing stock.
I was in the army and served proudly in N Ireland, if any of our officers had been pulled out moral would have been rock bottom, so I wonder how his men feel. Unfortunately Gen Sir Richard Dannat was one of our officers.

Prince Harrys regiment will more than likely get hit even harder now.

Why didn't he go in the RAF or the Royal Navy.

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:20 16 May 2007

'Harry was going to be their for some time not just in and out in an afternoon.'...and so he should be. What was the point of him doing his training then apart from poncing about for the tabloids.? Would anyone care to explain why Prince Andrew was allowed to go to the Falklands then? The name of his ship, departue and arrival was known to all and sundry. If Iraq is too dangerous for him wouldn't it be a tad too dangerous for other soldiers?

G

Kate B 19:23 16 May 2007

The difference between Andrew and Harry is, as far as I can tell, that Harry is a pretty visible target for Al Qaeda and would require too much extra security and his presence would therefore also put his colleagues at further risk. That didn't exist as an issue during the Falklands.

I think this is the right decision, actually, insofar as I devote any headspace to caring about Prince Harry.

Totally-braindead 19:33 16 May 2007

I can see why they have come to this decision, he definatly would have been a prime target as would anyone near him but he shouldn't have been allowed to join the Army in the first place as it was fairly obvious this sort of thing would come up.
I agree with Kate B the thing with Andrew was different, they were fighting an army then, such is not the case with sending Harry to Iraq.
I also think it was the right decision to make, not for Harrys sake but for those around him.

Forum Editor 19:34 16 May 2007

with things like this is that nobody sits in front of a microphone at a press conference and says "Look, we want you to know that Prince Harry was keen to serve his country in Iraq. He felt that he had been trained to do that kind of thing, and as his regiment was there he naturally wanted to join them. Unfortunately for him and his men, others have decided that Harry's presence would present difficulties, and may place our troops in greater danger. The decision has therefore been taken that Harry will not be going to Iraq. He's disappointed, but understands that in the circumstances the army is right. The safety of his colleagues comes first."

If they did that, right at the start, the media wouldn't be put in the position of having to speculate, and we would all be told the same story at the same time, and that would be an end to it. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be anyone in the Royal family and/or army who realises the right way to go about it.

Legolas 19:37 16 May 2007

Absolutely FE

Taff™ 19:48 16 May 2007

We could ask his grandfather - he might have something to say.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?