And so the 3D scanner arrives...

Forum Editor 19:39 22 Aug 2013

The first consumer desktop 3D scanner will ship in October.

Remember when you almost needed a second mortgage to buy a colour laser printer, or a flat-screen monitor?

Technology marches on.

bumpkin 20:22 22 Aug 2013

Useful bit of kit if you also had the £6000.00 printer then you could copy a small plastic gnome. A must have for every home.

Aitchbee 20:39 22 Aug 2013

...it'll probably have three different speed settings 33rpm, 45rpm and 78rpm ... like the old Dansette record-player my Mum splashed out on, 50 odd years ago ... so I'm not knockin' it. ;o]

bumpkin 20:56 22 Aug 2013

Aithchbee, ear ear

woodchip 21:48 22 Aug 2013

Looks about big enough to fit a Hamburger on the turntable

bumpkin 22:16 22 Aug 2013

woodchip, Hamburgers do not appear to be in the menus at the moment only small gnomes and they take 12mins just to scan in so probably cold by the time they are printed.

Mr Mistoffelees 22:23 22 Aug 2013

I'm sure it will not be many years before it will be possible to buy a combined 3D printer and scanner for a few hundred pounds.

Grey Goo 00:06 23 Aug 2013

I will probably stick with Wilko for cheap plastic stuff for the short term. When someone invents a replicator, a la Star Trek then that would be amazing.

Kevscar1 06:23 23 Aug 2013

What about copyright law

Forum Editor 07:23 23 Aug 2013

Kevscar1

Good point.

It's a problem now, of course, because people can already mass-produce copies of original works, and sell them without a licence.

With 3D scanning and printing technology it is more likely that there would be potential for patent infringement - someone could make copies of a patented product in a garage, and sell them at car boot sales, for instance. Fake products already find their way onto the market of course, but as time goes on, and the technology becomes more sophisticated, cheap 3D scanners and printers will provide an easy way for anyone to make counterfeit items.

Chronos the 2nd 09:00 23 Aug 2013

We already have an easy way of counterfeiting items, it's called China.

But let us hope that manufacturers do not follow the same path as the film and music industry by ignoring the technology with all the problems that has caused.

Yes there will always be people who want everything for free and you will never stop that. But the mishandling of digital technology by major music and film studios should be a great lesson on how not to do things, companies should now be looking on how to use this new technology to their advantage rather than play catch up as by that time it is invariably too late.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?