Smoking warnings In pictures: Why?

Proclaimer 23:25 01 Oct 2008

Will it help? Reports from Canada and Australia say yes it does.

Here are some of the images; Some may find these images disturbing. click here

The legal age for buying cigarettes is about to or has risen to 18 years, and smokers are being urged to stop quite strongly.

Is this a good idea? Will this not just increase smuggling and reduce tax income both because smoking declines or smuggling increases?

Are we heading to ban it altogether and is that not a better idea anyway?

I can't say I have any problem with smokers but I seem to have noticed that they are getting more and more pressure put on them to quit.

GRIDD 23:47 01 Oct 2008

Another link with some more info click here leads to a Sky news page.

Encourage more to quit, discourage more from taking it up... get the numbers down and then ban it.

robgf 00:52 02 Oct 2008

I don't find the pictures at all disturbing and I doubt smokers will either, after all, they take no notice of "Smoking Kills" being plastered all over the packets.

I would stop pestering smokers, it's their choice and they contribute lots of tax and die young so claim very little pension.

I would rather see drinkers targeted. Drink causes violence, vandalism in town centers. Urine up shop fronts and vomit in the streets.
Not to mention drink driving, ill advised s*x, unwanted pregnancies and poor work performance the next day.

We could also stop takeaways opening after 7pm and massively reduce the litter problem.

rdave13 01:54 02 Oct 2008

'I would stop pestering smokers, it's their choice and they contribute lots of tax and die young so claim very little pension.'
Very true but I disagree because I don't want my children smoking, as I do, since the age of nine.
Your second point is valid as today I don't think that you can go out for a 'quiet drink' as it was years ago.
Times have changed and the local 'pub' will only survive, in my opinion, in that they'll have to supply SKY for sports (on a big screen) and meals in the afternoons with areas for children.
Late night clubs are a different matter.

Quickbeam 07:45 02 Oct 2008

By that I mean, we all get selective in what we read as so much is thrown at us all day in the way of instructions etc, so it becomes more difficult to get our attention, thats why advertisers like unusual ads, They have to stand out from the norn to be noticed.

The lung cancer one would make me stop instantly if I smoked.

tullie 07:53 02 Oct 2008

Believe me,it wouldent.

Colin 08:48 02 Oct 2008

Why not put pictures of car accident victims on the side of cars? The list could go on and on. I can't think that there is anyone now who can't be aware of the health problems associated with smoking. If anything, this move could glamorise smoking to impressionable people, i.e. youngsters, who we don't to start smoking in the first place!

laurie53 08:56 02 Oct 2008

The problem is that successive governments have simply lacked the political will.

The way to reduce people smoking is to simply only make tobacco available under licence.

Anyone now aged eighteen or over can get a free licence to buy tobacco (there will be a small administrative charge, say £120, paid annually!) and no new licences will ever be issued.

As the population ages it should be easy to arrest and incarcerate any younger person found smoking.

hssutton 09:00 02 Oct 2008

I can now see the kids starting to collect fag packets again.

interzone55 09:08 02 Oct 2008

One woman in a news story illustrated perfectly why warnings & photos have no effect.

She doesn't want to read warnings or see photos so she has one of those leatherette cigarette packet holders, voila no more upsetting warnings.

You only see what your brain wants you to see, if you don't like the look of something, say a disabled person in a wheelchair, you brain will prevent you from ever seeing them. It's the same with health warnings of cigarettes, if you don't want to see them you'll find a way to ignore them...

interzone55 09:26 02 Oct 2008

"Research published earlier this year showed that the physical action of nicotine is very similar to that of heroin in terms of how they act on the brain. Giving up smoking may be as difficult as giving up heroin."

I read something similar to that about 15 years ago when I was doing a paper on drug addiction. I lost most of the research notes in a house move, so I can't quote specifics, but basically in a study carried out by several universities in the 80's it was shown that it is actually easier for most people to kick a Heroin addiction that it is to kick tobacco. If you want proof, look at any former junky you care to choose (Robbie Williams, The Gallagher brothers, Keith Richards etc) they may be clean of the illegal drugs, but they still smoke like chimneys...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?