Smoking bans 'cut heart attacks'

nangadef 12:32 22 Sep 2009
Answered

A report on the BBC site click here states that heart attacks have been cut by up to one third because of the ban on smoking.

But how much of that is down to cleaner car emissions, healthy eating campaigns, keep fit campaigns, consumption of cholesterol busting spreads and drinks, anti alcohol campaigns etc. etc. that have taken place over the same period as the ban on smoking?

How can they praise only the smoking ban?

btw I'm a non-smoker so have no axe to grind.

jakimo 12:59 22 Sep 2009

Is there any reported evidence that heart failure has been reduced in Europe and North America by any campaigns other than bann smoking? there are many products that claim they MAY reduce heart disease

nangadef 14:11 22 Sep 2009

Smoking is an easy target.

I don't see how any one 'health project' can be proved to do anything but assist in reducing heart attacks.

Probably the producers of anti-cholesterol items could show that there has been a reduction in heart attacks since people lowered their 'bad' cholesterol levels, but it wouldn't prove that these items in isolation were the cause.

The only way to prove any of them would to be to make the changes one at a time and to do the surveys before commencing the next change.

lofty29 17:33 22 Sep 2009

A bit more help to expand the world population.

DrScott 19:31 22 Sep 2009

has reduced the degree of smoking within the population, then the fall in heart disease is almost certainly due to the ban.

Do not underestimate how enormous a risk factor smoking is for cardiac disease.

(Though family history is also a pretty good predictor too, but that can't be quite so controlled)

Chegs ®™ 20:42 22 Sep 2009

Watched The Ice Man lastnight,about a 50yr old dutch bloke and his attempt to run a marathon in artic conditions wearing just sandals and a pair of shorts.It took him 5hrs and soon as he ended the run he proclaimed he wanted a beer.The camera panned to him in a shelter with beer in hand...and blow me but he sparked up a ciggy!

Stuartli 21:07 22 Sep 2009

The ban on smoking in public places doesn't stop us smoking - we just nip outside for 10 minutes...:-)

Forum Editor 22:53 22 Sep 2009

that if a) the degree of smoking in the population has been decreased by the ban, and b) The incidence of heart disease has fallen as well, then the two must be related - there can be no other conclusion to be drawn.

People who smoke will always find a million reasons to justify their habit, but they know as well as anyone else that inhaling nicotine-laden smoke is a major health hazard. The reason they continue to smoke despite all the evidence is because they are addicted to nicotine.

nangadef 23:00 22 Sep 2009

FE I didn't say that the two weren't related, just how can the whole decrease be put down solely to the smoking ban.

And I'm not trying to justify my habit. As I said, I'm a non-smoker.

Forum Editor 00:12 23 Sep 2009

I said 'people who smoke' do that.

As for the two factors being related, researchers found "that heart attack rates across Europe and North America started to drop immediately following implementation of anti-smoking laws, reaching 17% after one year, then continuing to decline over time, with a 36% drop three years after enacting the restrictions."

Which seems pretty clear to me. All the other factors you mentioned have been in existence since long before the smoking ban, so they are very unlikely to have had such a sudden and marked effect.

Quickbeam 01:16 23 Sep 2009

When I look at the young 'uns on the street, there is no evidence that they have reduced their share of the smoking market. If anything they seem more addicted than the kids of 20 years ago. I've often wondered if this is down to smoking other substances as well as tobacco that are more easily obtainable than 20 or so years ago.?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?