SMOKERS TOLD TO ‘CLOCK OFF’ AT BREAKS

Quickbeam 09:34 02 Nov 2010

click here Quite right too. Everyone that I know that works in a place where smokers nip out for a drag deeply resents the extra break time.

onthelimit 09:42 02 Nov 2010

I agree 100% - but I probably wouldn't if I were a smoker!

Quickbeam 09:53 02 Nov 2010

There are of course plenty of workplaces where it completely banned for either safety (mines and chemical plants), or hygiene reasons (food processing factories).

Quite often the office grounds at some of these places aren't counted in the ban area, but I think that the present times offer the best initiative to start considering our place of work as somewhere that you just don't smoke at all. The benefits will be increased productivity, better longterm health of the staff and an end to the skivers unfair extra breaks perk.

That should rattle some cages...!

egapup 10:04 02 Nov 2010

"In other words, you're at work to work and there should be no regular exemptions from just doing your job"

Ok if your a robot.

birdface 10:16 02 Nov 2010

Maybe do away with the tea breaks next.
Is that classed as a drug or a refreshment.
Maybe have to clock out to go to the toilet next.
I do not smoke but have sympathy for those that have smoked all of their lives and enjoy it.
Maybe if they go to work 15 minutes earlier or work 15 minutes later than the rest of their workmates that would maybe acceptable to their employers.

Armchair 10:29 02 Nov 2010

Quite right. They should clock off when they gan to the netty, too. Some people take longer than others on the loo, AND IT JUST ISN'T FAIR.

spuds 10:30 02 Nov 2010

Its about time that the whole system was looked at. Personally I get annoyed trying to gain entrance to hospitals, some council offices and similar other premises, only to find my way blocked by smokers. The same applies to pubs and clubs, not a very pretty sight to see a crowd gathering outside, and you think "is there a fight, evacuation or is it just smokers blocking up the entrance and pavement again. Even having special 'smoking areas' doesn't seem to resolve the problem for some smokers.

A friend of mine runs a food processing factory, and it as always been a strict rule as to what you do during your shift. And smoking is a positive no-no.

No doubt with this 'clock off' move, we will be hearing about victimisation and other similar statements. I have stated many times within this forum and elsewhere. If you want to use mobile phones in a non-urgent capacity, or use a computer for own entertainment, or participate in any non-working activity, including sneaking off for the quick puff, or even extended drink and chat break, which the company and ultimately the customer are paying for, then you should stay at home, and think of your other options.

Grey Goo 10:33 02 Nov 2010

Another label for the workers looms, Snoutcast.

john bunyan 11:11 02 Nov 2010

What about if they surf the net in company time for personal use?

Picklefactory 13:02 02 Nov 2010

... but, on a similar theme, we have quite a number of Muslim workers at the company I work for, and some, but by no means all, regularly go and pray during their working shift, sometimes 2 or 3 times, but still take their breaks as normal.
The management are aware, but for obvious reasons, choose to ignore that. Not an easy one to deal with in this age of PC and instant racism

peter99co 16:39 02 Nov 2010

Our local hospitals ban smoking within the grounds and to smoke involves a long walk to the hospital gates.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone