Slugs in the house. Any remedies?

Blackhat 17:30 17 May 2011

I have always had a few this time of year, just in my front lounge and slug killer usually deals with them. But this year they are in every ground floor room.

They only come out at night and this morning was the worst I have seen, a criss crossed matrix of shimmering snot on every carpet!

The house is over 100 years old which might add to the problem but does anyone have a working remedy?

HondaMan 17:43 17 May 2011

Try this link http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=ways+to+kill+slugs&aq=f&aqi=g1g-v1g-m2&aql=&oq=

sunnystaines 17:54 17 May 2011

slug pellets, leave on large sheet of cardboard.

we had loads of slugs this year on our patio and also large snails up the fig tree which is odd. slug pellets killed of our invasion of small black slugs, i check our tree each day and sling the snails on the lawn, they are quickly eaten by the birds not sure why they do not eat them in the tree.

Blackhat 17:54 17 May 2011

Thanks.

Most Google results are about product recommendations or out door issues with plants etc.

It would be nice to hear from someone who has dealt with this successfully with a home remedy that didn’t involve commercial products or elaborate arrangements of salt trails and beer traps.

Blackhat 17:56 17 May 2011

Sunnystaines

Did they come back? My pellets kill a few each night but the numbers seam to be increasing daily.

wiz-king 18:06 17 May 2011

I have the same problem - if you find a solution tell me please! I cant use slug pellets because my dog would eat them. I usually resort to coming down in the early hours and giving them an eviction order served with a fish slice from the kitchen.

Woolwell 18:28 17 May 2011

Borrow some ducks. They eat any slug they can find.

Forum Editor 18:54 17 May 2011

I can understand why you don't like the idea of salt trails

but the fact is, it works. You don't need much salt, just sprinkle it around the edges of the room, where you think the slugs may be entering. If you can trace the slime trails you may see where they gain entry, and you can treat those points.

Persevere, it really is effective.

Blackhat 18:59 17 May 2011

Forun Editor

I think I might give that a go, need to tell Mrs B not to sweep floor before I get home so I can trace those tracks, I go out early and she cleans them up before I get home!

SB23 19:10 17 May 2011

I used to live in a terrace that dated back to 1888, and that was the only problem we had. Downstairs front room every morning had trails everywhere. It was a suspended floor with a 4ft space below, and they would come in between the skirting and carpet. I tried all sorts, but with very young kids at the time I wanted to be carefull. In the end I opted for the salt option, you didn't even need to see the salt but it was enough to stop them, as the FE suggests, try it, and remember, see a gap, however small, salt it.

peter99co 19:48 17 May 2011

Salt is deadly to slugs. I use it on the lawn. I think they bury themselves in the soil.

I had lots of them living under some slabs and you may find they are hiding in similar places by the sound of it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Microsoft Surface Studio – the artist's hands-on review

Original iPhone review

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?