The slow death of landline phones

peter99co 13:39 12 Nov 2009

Are you still hooked up?

click here

In the US, one in five homes is without a landline as more people "cut the cord" during the recession and save money. The latest wheeze for those with defunct phone sockets is a reading lamp that takes its power from the electrical charge that comes down a phone line.

Really? Don't do this at home!?

Chris the Ancient 15:00 12 Nov 2009

Especially the bit about running a lamp from the defunct socket.

In the (very) old days, when a phone line was disconnected, in-line fuses at the exchange were removed and the line was completely dead. Don't they completely disconnect the line any more?

And... depending on the number of sockets in the residence, I wonder how many lamps, and of what type, could one run?

CtA

BT 17:43 12 Nov 2009

I have both a BT socket and a Virgin Media socket in my house. My service is with Virgin and although the BT line was disconnected when the previous occupiers left there is still a dialling tone on the BT socket. I believe someone told me, although I haven't for obvious reasons tried it, that the BT socket can still be used for Emergency 999 calls.
On that point, watching Real Rescues on BBC, it came over that the Emergency Services prefer that you call from a fixed line phone if possible, as they can immediately pinpoint your address location, something not possible with Mobile phones.

Forum Editor 17:56 12 Nov 2009

but I'm certain that far fewer calls are being made on landlines these days.

My children make and receive all their calls via their mobiles - they don't have landlines in their homes. Broadband comes by cable.

morddwyd 18:33 12 Nov 2009

My landline is still in place simply because we have a community alarm, and, of course, for broadband as there is no cable service..

For all normal comms it's mobile or VOIP.

mr simon 19:38 12 Nov 2009

When I was at university I saw no need for one. A mobile and Skype did the job just fine.

oresome 20:16 12 Nov 2009

Using a mobile phone is not without risk as recent studies suggest. For prolonged calls, a landline phone is preferable in my opinion.

cream. 20:30 12 Nov 2009

could get cable. The landline would be a thing of the past.

Awshum 20:30 12 Nov 2009

Having a landline is a must for me.

The thought of trying to dial the emergency services from a mobile at home fills me with fear. Dead battery, no signal, network busy or more probable that I just can't the bloody thing. :)

Not only the emergency services but the children's school, doctor's and several other bodies that I have contact with are easier to manage from a domestic line than a mobile.

folsom 20:49 12 Nov 2009

Little choice here, because we have no Cable service or mobile signal. Lovely out in the sticks isn't it.....

cycoze 21:05 12 Nov 2009

Option Three with BT, love it, My Wife and Daughter can phone another land line for up to an hour then hang up and phone back, all for a shade under £20pm.

If others cut the cord then I guess we will have no-one to phone with it as I ban mobile numbers going out other than in an emergency.

Maybe one day mobiles and coverage will get a lot better than they are now, hopefully cheaper too until then for most of my calls I'll stick with the land line.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?