Site Adverts

laurie53 09:19 18 Aug 2007

Any one else noticed that whenever there is a bit of a delay in a page updating/loading it is usually one of the advertisers holding it up, not the PCA site?

VideoSentry 09:24 18 Aug 2007

Is has been driving Me mad as I assumed it was my machine,so thanks; I will now wait,re-enter etc knowing I am not the only one!

VideoSentry 09:31 18 Aug 2007

Its ds.serving-sys.com that I get stuck on.Last try to access my postings took over 3 mins.

Si_L 09:31 18 Aug 2007

Solution: Get Firefox, add the Extension called Ad-block. It works a treat.

simonjary 09:47 18 Aug 2007

I'll ask our online team to look into this on Monday.

Simon Jary
Publisher

WhiteTruckMan 10:05 18 Aug 2007

but never really thought about it, that advertisers sent their adverts to the webmasters who incorporated it into the pages. It never occured to me that the graphics, video and possibly sound were merely linked in from a third party server.

It does kind of make a mockery of spending all that money on new servers earlier this year if its still being dragged down by someone else's machines.

WTM

Forum Editor 11:18 18 Aug 2007

The advertisements are served to the page you request by an ad server, we don't control how it happens, apart from selling the space in the first place.

Most big sites with advertising work this way.

The ad-server delays are nothing new - they've been with us for a long time.

WhiteTruckMan 12:08 18 Aug 2007

Its not something I ever really thought about before.

I certainly agree about the delay part. At least I now know not to point the finger of blame directly at a slow site. Not that it actually helps much...

WTM

spuds 13:32 18 Aug 2007

Yesterday I was getting a number of slow downs and eventual error messages on the PCA site. Was this caused by the same reasons mentioned above?.

Forum Editor 14:41 18 Aug 2007

Some of the errors may have been caused by the load balancer on the server cluster. This site isn't the only one running - we have lots of other company sites on the same servers.

We're constantly looking at ways to improve/maintain site performance, but often there are errors which are - on the face of it at least - unrelated to the site, and they can be difficult to track down.

spuds 17:58 18 Aug 2007

Thought it was IE6 playing up at my end.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?