single person holidays

flopper1 11:47 07 Sep 2007

Why do single people have to pay supplements for holidays.If the apartment/room is m/t surely it makes sense to sell it than leave it m/t.

Seth Haniel 11:50 07 Sep 2007

wait till your married and you'll find you've been paying more tax too ;)

Clapton is God 11:50 07 Sep 2007

Because most holiday companies prefer to build/provide multi-occupancy rooms to maximise their financial return.

Single occupancy remains are really an expensive buggeration factor.

Clapton is God 11:51 07 Sep 2007

That should read "single occupancy ROOMS ..."

Forum Editor 11:53 07 Sep 2007

there are good economic reasons why these charges are made, but I've never understood what they are.

interzone55 12:36 07 Sep 2007

There's an interesting piece about this in today's Independent.

I have to say that most of my hotel stays are business related, and are usually in places that charge by the room rather than per person, so I'm not normally affected by this.

by the way, does it save much time typing m/t rather than empty, because it took me ages figuring out what you meant.

Chegs ®™ 14:55 07 Sep 2007

Cheers mate,I read the post and decided it made no sense to me so wasnt going to comment.

I can see the travel business logic in increasing the charge for single occupancy,they get a better return from the room albeit not as much as they would from 2+ people.

interzone55 22:10 07 Sep 2007

I tend to stay in Travelodges when I travel with work, they're not the best places, but they sure are cheap, and I find the beds to be very comfy.

They have a very good pricing scheme, pretty much all the rooms are £56(per room), if you book a week in advance it's down to £26, and if your lucky, and book a fortnight or so in advance the price is down to £15.

No luckily I generally know well in advance if I'm going to travel, and where to so I can save my employer quite decent sums of money, especially as we have a Business Account with Premier Travel Inns and they charge us £53.33 a night no matter when we book

v1asco 18:53 08 Sep 2007

Do you take your own pillows?

Last time I stayed at Travel Inns I requested extra pillows (2 supplied) and was told becuse it is a double bed booking thats all you get. If I had asked for twin beds it would have been 4. Same with towels, 2 small bath sheets and one hand towel. The lady was adamant about this but I politely stood my ground and got the extras eventually.

€dstowe 20:02 08 Sep 2007

Somewhat off topic, I stayed in an expensive London hotel a few weeks ago and when I got up in the morning there were spots of blood on various parts of the bed linen.

I sleep in the buff and looking at my torso and legs there were the characteristic "Holy trinity" or "breakfast, lunch and dinner" marks made by bed bugs. I looked in the crevices of the mattress and there they were - hundreds of the damnable things.

Obviously I called the duty manager and he was profusely apologetic. I got the room, my previous night's business dinner and drink in recompense and vouchers for a future visit (do I want to go there again?)

Apparently, since the banning of the more persistent insecticides, bed bugs are becoming more and more common such that it is not unusual for hotels to have a regular contract with the bug man.

(to explain Holy Trinity and breakfast, lunch and dinner; bed bugs normally make three puncture marks in the skin at each "sitting")

Chegs ®™ 21:51 08 Sep 2007

" and book a fortnight or so in advance the price is down to £15."

When I was a general haulage driver,it was £15 per night to park in a ruddy motorway services plus I had to kip in the cab.No room service,breakfast or nothing for the £15 apart from a loo. :(

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?