Silly safety rule(s)

m800afc 06:17 09 Jan 2008

Before a recent football match I went to the pub to stop some beer going stale. It was served in a plastic "glass". I was assured that this was for safety reasons and I couldn't have a glass. My companion asked for a bottle of beer. He was given a glass bottle and was asked if he required a glass. He said he didn't and we walked form the bar to see a large number of people drinking from glass bottles.
Hmmm, being hit by a bottle is safer then?

Quickbeam 08:12 09 Jan 2008

The behavior of the few, dictates the drinking vessels for the many.

egapup 08:23 09 Jan 2008

The landlord doesnt have to replace broken bottles.

DANZIG 10:08 09 Jan 2008

I've had the same experience although the plastic 'glass' that I drank my foaming beverage from felt and looked so close to proper 'glass' as to make very little difference at all.

Its not like the old days when a plastic 'glass' was all floppy and thin making drinking a pint virtully impossible.

Quickbeam 10:22 09 Jan 2008

Have you noticed how plastic seems to impart a plastic flavour into a drink...?

Bingalau 10:24 09 Jan 2008

When my wife worked in Plymouth Argyle's football ground behind a bar, they served beer in plastic glasses. This was yonks ago at a match between England (just after winning the World Cup) and Ireland.
Anyway an irate Irishman, when he realised it was a cheap plastic glass, complained bitterly and said "Will ya look at that? Even a pig wouldn't drink outa that. Give us another one missus". or words to that effect.

babybell 10:31 09 Jan 2008

Well down here in Bristol if you head into the town on a night out you actually get served drinks in plastic bottles as well as plastic glasses. It's a strange feeling to hold a plastic bottle of budweiser. Still if it limits the chances of some moron doing damage to your head with it then all the better!

laurie53 10:41 09 Jan 2008

The reason is that it in the event of violence people are more likely to be "glassed" with a glass than with a bottle.

Don't ask me why, that's one for the psychiatrists.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?