Silly Marketing Claim

Mr Mistoffelees 20:50 14 Mar 2014
Answered

Look at this: Asus website.

The headline there claims: "delivers 104% cooler performance". How can this be so? Is not 100% cooler, absolute zero?

Just.me 21:07 14 Mar 2014

Sorry, but you have not understood what the claim is. It claims that it will cool 104% cooler than the reference specification.

If, say, the specification is to cool by 10 degrees then 100% cooler would be to cool by 20 degrees. 104% would be about 20.5 degrees cooler.

Hope this helps you to understand the claim.

lotvic 21:37 14 Mar 2014

Not sure how it's worked it out with comparison to the reference design, further down page it says "With liquid, DirectCU H2O achieves up to 140% lower temperatures"

lotvic 21:40 14 Mar 2014

Ah, Just.me has explained it :)

fourm member 23:22 14 Mar 2014

I understand the explanation but it is still marketing nonsense.

'We set the standard and now we're trying to make you think it is amazing that we've beaten the standard we set'.

lotvic 23:59 14 Mar 2014

fm, I don't think Asus set the standard for the GTX 780 Reference Design but then again, I don't know who did.

"Reference design refers to a technical blueprint of a system that is intended for others to copy. It contains the essential elements of the system; however, third parties may enhance or modify the design as required" (according to Wikiipedia)

BT 07:56 15 Mar 2014
Answer

Its like the ads that claim that a cleaner will 'Kill up to 99.9% of household germs'. It doesn't mean that it WILL kill 99.9% of germs, just UP TO 99.9%. Could be 0.001% in reality.

Similarly with Broadband, the operative phrase is UP TO

Mr Mistoffelees 09:56 15 Mar 2014

Actually, like BT, I think there are so many ludicrous claims, made by marketing departments, usually qualified by "up to", that I just ignore most of them.

As for my original point, maybe I just see things differently. However, my partner understands me, she agreed!

Forum Editor 10:08 15 Mar 2014

Just.me's explanation is the right one.

although I can understand your confusion. Marketing blurbs have to be eye-catching in a highly competitive market, and this one certainly caught your eye.

Reference specifications are useful as far as the industry is concerned - they enable claims like this to be made by third parties.

wiz-king 12:29 15 Mar 2014

Don't get me started on adverts. There are several that annoy me on TV at the moment - razors that cause up to 100% less red rash, stains that go in thirty seconds and leave the water as clear as before use. Grr

BT 08:24 16 Mar 2014

"razors that cause up to 100% less red rash"

Didn't think they caused rashes any more, unless you use the very cheap ones. Most branded razors these days are pretty good, even the disposables. The Gillette Fusion and ProGlide Power, and the Wilkinson Hydro razors are superb. The blades are expensive but last for many weeks. I must say I didn't actually buy these razors I got them free from manufacturers Facebook 'Prize Draws' and I'm converted. The 'power' razors are particularly good.

While on this subject, I usually use a 'Gel' shaving product and I've found that there isn't any advantage in buying the big brands. Tescos own brand 'Pro' range are as good as, and half the price of the big brands.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?