Sign of the times or ....

Jackcoms 16:12 01 Jun 2007

am I just getting old?

Just demonstrated to my 17 year old daughter how to do her online banking and I showed her where our passwords/PINs are stored on a floppy disk.

I explained why it's bad practice to store passwords/PINs on the PC itself and she burst out laughing. "What's funny?" I asked.

"I've never used a floppy before", she said. "How do I use it?"

Is it just me??

Before anyone asks, the passwords/PINs is also on a separate a USB pen drive.

Jak_1 16:16 01 Jun 2007

A sign of the times indeed. I still, infrequenly though, still use the humble floppy for a few things.

rdave13 17:03 01 Jun 2007

Maybe not getting old but just getting older..lol.
I still use the floppy to hold, small, important info.

MrNerdy 17:12 01 Jun 2007

Not surprised!
As usb flash storage is so cheap it's cheaper buy one than buy x10 Floppies!!!

johndrew 17:34 01 Jun 2007

Ah yes, but lose or spoil one floppy = 0.1 flash drive. Additionally you can make backup copies with floppies at a lower cost!!

Forum Editor 17:41 01 Jun 2007

when I last used a floppy disk. None of my current machines even has a floppy drive, and I doubt that I'll ever use one again.

Ancient Learner 18:13 01 Jun 2007

I can't do a Windows reinstall without the floppy drive, on account of having SATA HDDs. Mind you, I hope I'll never need to either - once was enough! (And before you ask, Windows will only recognise a floppy drive for this, nothing else will do.)

Kate B 18:16 01 Jun 2007

My sata hdds don't need a floppy - Vista just installs the drivers as it goes.

dukeboxhero 19:39 01 Jun 2007

Jackcoms we are just gettin old my daughter a couple of years ago heard a abba song on tv and asked if i had it, i did but it was on a lp after i had put it on the turn table and played it for her she asked how do i rewind it?

mammak 19:48 01 Jun 2007

Lol.

Jak_1 20:27 01 Jun 2007

One of the first good things I've heard about Vista, lol. A friend of mine in Holland is cursing Vista having had to buy a pc with it installed after his xp machine blew up! 75% of the programs he needs do not like vista and he's had to put xp on and make it into a dual boot machine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?