Sign of Sanity At Last?

laurie53 08:54 27 Nov 2008

An outdoor nursery school goes from strength to strength.

click here

Is there are small glimmer of normality starting to appear amidst all the safety obsessions?

newman35 09:08 27 Nov 2008

I don't think safety considerations come into it - they will still be very controlled, even though outside, and have to adhere to all normal school safety rules.
The difference seems to be they just stay out in all weathers,

newman35 09:14 27 Nov 2008

AS for 'sanity' - there may be those who question the wisdom of keeping 3 and 4 year olds outside in Scottish winter weather. Is sanity subjective??

DippyGirl 09:19 27 Nov 2008

Great story
Telling bit for me is "the nursery is dependent on parental and community involvement."

If you have like-minded people actively contributing you are to a winner ... No jobsworths

Wish them all luck and success

DippyGirl 09:21 27 Nov 2008

"In Scotland, there is no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes. " - Billy Connelly

Cymro. 13:59 27 Nov 2008

The child in the photo looks very well wrapped up with hat, scarf, gloves and a good warm coat. Probably doing him more good than being stuck inside all day with the central heating going full-blast.

newman35 14:20 27 Nov 2008

I'm not saying it's not good to be outside, all the school nurseries I know have outside-play during every session (to also help teach putting on and off shoes/hats/coats etc).
The normal nursery sessions are two and a half hours - that's a long time being out in winter, and surely not ALL indoor activities are bad?
Personally I would like a balance.

newman35 14:24 27 Nov 2008

ps (and not wishing to upset the FE, I will avoid the C word) - but where do traditional nativity practices happen, or are these abandoned in search of fresh air? I want to see kids in festive playlets!

laurie53 19:35 27 Nov 2008

"but where do traditional nativity practices happen,"

This is a rural area, I'm sure that a roofless old barn can be found somewhere!

newman35 19:51 27 Nov 2008

Are you sure they would all fit inn??

laurie53 08:43 28 Nov 2008

Groan! :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone