Sigh,Pandora are forced to block my listening

Chegs ®™ 23:24 07 Jan 2008

I have until the 15th January 2008 to continue listening to music I enjoy without inane prattle through it from DJ's or interupted for advertisements,unless I pick up my belongings and travel to the USA where the music industry authorities have deemed it okay for american ears.

I received the email notification today,with an explanation from Tim Westerbrook at Pandora as to why this is happening.

As you probably know, in July of 2007 we had to block usage of Pandora outside the U.S. because of the lack of a viable license structure for Internet radio streaming in other countries. It was a terrible day. We did however hold out some hope that a solution might exist for the UK, so we left it unblocked as we worked diligently with the rights organizations to negotiate an economically workable license fee. After over a year of trying, this has proved impossible. Both the PPL (which represents the record labels) and the MCPS/PRS Alliance (which represents music publishers) have demanded per track performance minima rates which are far too high to allow ad supported radio to operate and so, hugely disappointing and depressing to us as it is, we have to block the last territory outside of the US.

It continues to astound me and the rest of the team here that the industry is not working more constructively to support the growth of services that introduce listeners to new music and that are totally supportive of paying fair royalties to the creators of music. I don't often say such things, but the course being charted by the labels and publishers and their representative organizations is nothing short of disastrous for artists whom they purport to represent - and by that I mean both well known and indie artists. The only consequence of failing to support companies like Pandora that are attempting to build a sustainable radio business for the future will be the continued explosion of piracy, the continued constriction of opportunities for working musicians, and a worsening drought of new music for fans. As a former working musician myself, I find it very troubling.

Picklefactory 10:40 08 Jan 2008

OMG, what will I do now. I think Pandora is an excellent bit of kit, I will miss it if it go's.

BryanR 10:44 08 Jan 2008

I'm also an avid Pandora user, as are many friends. Hopefully a time will come when they can set up a service for their UK users. Or we could all agree to pay a subscription fee. Doesn't seem unreasonable - but i guess it goes against Pandora's founders' original ideology.

Bryan

gudgulf 10:54 08 Jan 2008

Haven't recieved the email.....yet.

I'm listening as I type and will miss the mix of known and unknown tracks that Pandora serves up if they do pull the plug on the UK.

I'll be keeping an eye in my inbox for the notification of that bad news,:((

GANDALF <|:-)> 11:21 08 Jan 2008

If you buy a wi-fi internet radio which receives 8900 stations you will find your problems solved.

G

sunny staines 11:27 08 Jan 2008

got the pandora email today, disappointed a great radio site.

gudgulf 11:51 08 Jan 2008

....Pandora is free.

And I can get vast numbers of internet radio stations anyway.

I find Pandora more customisable to my taste than any of the radio stations I've tried.

Not the absolute end of the world,of course.

But enough that I will personally miss being able to use it.

Brumas 14:21 08 Jan 2008

I too have just received the email, what a shame - I had it 'just the way I wanted it'.

Bingalau 14:38 08 Jan 2008

I've not had the e-mail yet. I will also miss it because I had it set up nicely with my kind of music. Brilliant station. Shame.

Chegs ®™ 01:03 09 Jan 2008

If you buy a wi-fi internet radio which receives 8900 stations you will find your problems solved.

I very much doubt it will solve my problems.There will be no customisable selection on the 8900 stations,and if a piece of music is played that I dont like there will be no "skip" facility,or a means to remove it from the future playlist.There will also likely be a DJ or advertisement,that I dont want to hear.

It isnt the end of the world by any means,but is very disappointing news.It just irks me that the music industry (that are supposed to be for musicians) couldnt see beyond the cash,and strike some kind of deal.Besides,why are the americans ONLY being allowed to tune in? Pandora isnt going off air,just being ordered to cease allowing anyone outside the USA to listen.

GANDALF <|:-)> 07:57 09 Jan 2008

I think it would be better if no one mentioned accessing Pandora through click here ;-)

G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone