As a sideissue to the Fibre Bandwith debate

jack 12:54 19 Oct 2010

BT are promoting Infinity- their Fibre option in those areas that are so equipped.
The prices quoted are comparable to some sites offering up to 8 for example and an 'Allin'[Boradband and phonecalls] package to an existing BT Line customer come to less than I am paying for phone/calls/broadbasnd indivdually- so I am hovering
The question then is - Will BT hang on to exclusivity to fibre or will the gewnral gamut of ISP's be able to claim a share of the action?
Or am it just reading this wrong- Is fibre network universal- if it is installed i nan area does everybody benefit?

[email protected] 13:18 19 Oct 2010

I believe that OFCOM has stated that BT must open its fibre network to other ISPs so that they can use it too.

Quickbeam 13:26 19 Oct 2010

That's a bit like off-fact forcing factory owners to allow their competitors to use their production facilities to undercut them, it's a strange law that...

Mr Mistoffelees 15:45 19 Oct 2010

"I believe that OFCOM has stated that BT must open its fibre network to other ISPs so that they can use it too."

"That's a bit like off-fact forcing factory owners to allow their competitors to use their production facilities to undercut them, it's a strange law that..."

If other ISPs cannot use the fibre network BT will have a monopoly in the large parts of the country with no access to cable services, eg Virgin. This would leave most of us paying higher prices for a poorer service. We consumers need competition.

Mike D 16:03 19 Oct 2010

BT has been forced to allow other Telecoms providers and ISP to have access to its exchanges and cabinets for some years, this is just an extension of that policy.
This is nothing new, when Girobank (later part of Alliance and Leicester) was formed the high street banks were forced by the then government to loan staffto Girobank and open their facilities to allow Girobank to thrive.

morddwyd 19:58 19 Oct 2010

"We consumers need competition."

There already is competition.

Unfortunately the competition is unwilling to shell out to build it's own fibre network, and wishes to use the one BT has paid for.

That's called communism, not competition!

Tim1964 20:34 19 Oct 2010

morddwyd,

Remember though that the telephone network was originally a state owned thing and therefore paid for by the entire population. A competitor could install their own network (albeit impractical)but would "we" all be prepared to pay for it?

Quickbeam 20:40 19 Oct 2010

NTL started a new infrastructure from scratch, the one that became Virgin.

morddwyd 07:24 20 Oct 2010

We're not talking about a telephone network but a fibre network.

That was installed entirely by BT.

Competitors already have full access to the telephone network.

natdoor 08:27 20 Oct 2010

While the whole nation may have paid for BT's infrastructure at the time of privatisation, The government, on behalf of the nation, sold it. The money received was returned to the exchequer and hence the whole nation. Ofcom was granted regularity powers to control BT's use of the network. I believe that their powers should be limited to their activities at the time of privatisation, namely copper-wire telephony.

When licences were sold for fibre-optic installation to NTL and others, it would have been possible to make it a condition that the network would be open to competitors on commercial terms.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?