sicko

Seth Haniel 13:15 14 Aug 2010

click here

wildlife campaigner has drowned a grey squirrel to challenge the RSPCA to prosecute him.

i'd like to drown him :)

wee eddie 15:43 14 Aug 2010

I have to assume that you accept that the Grey Squirrel is part, if not the total reason, for the reduction in Red Squirrel numbers. If not give us an explanation of the, almost total, eradication of the Red Squirrel from Mainland Britain.

How would you have the number of Greys reduced and how would you kill them?

ella33 15:52 14 Aug 2010

I agree with your comments about the reduction of red squirrels but personally, I cannot condone cruelty to animals. Even if the death was quick, we cannot be sure that the squirrels killed by this man were the ones who caused the problem. In fact it is very unlikely. The destruction of natural habitats and more general interference with wildlife, such as introducing new species, has largely been caused by over population by humans... the most dangerous species of all. Are we to drown the humans and let wildlife exist in peace?

Seth Haniel 17:20 14 Aug 2010

thread would have been deleted if i'd replied straight away...

wee eddie - i can see you are one of the blind being led by the blind - and fallen hook, line & sinker for the nuch bandied excuse ...

As both species (Red & Grey) prefer different habitats - Man has to make a scapegoat of one to cover up the wrong doing and deforesting of his own making

ella33 17:29 14 Aug 2010

Well animals and birds are often culled so I feel sure that there are people like the chap on the link "doing their bit", I doubt that he is a one off. But I felt that humans are the most dangerous species is a point worth making!

jakimo 17:41 14 Aug 2010

Apparently both red and grey squirrels are under threat from the more aggressive black squirrel.

This is a far greater threat to the species than an oddball wildlife campaigner!

click here

Flak999 17:43 14 Aug 2010

to kill grey squirrels as they are classed as vermin.You can trap them or shoot them or poison them. What you must not do however is shoot them with a bow or crossbow or use explosive (other than normal ammunition)

Interesting article from the Telegraph click here

Once trapped they may not be released you must kill them. Legislation is the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981.

Drowning is frowned upon!

wee eddie 04:03 15 Aug 2010

Shoot it, put it in a sack and Club it to death or drown it, are the traditional methods, I think probably the nastiest is, giving it to the Terriers, but it's good practise for them, particularly the young and inexperienced ones.

None of them are especially nice for the poor animal, but rats is rats, whether they be of the terrestrial or arboreal variety.

I'm sorry, all you bleeding hearts out there, but the countryside needs to be protected or you won't be able to wander round the woods and see those lovely Red Squirrels, because they've caught the Pox from the Greys who were bullying them out of their home territory anyway.

morddwyd 08:32 15 Aug 2010

"the Greys who were bullying them out of their home territory"

Not according to Seth Haniel

"both species (Red & Grey) prefer different habitats"

Forum Editor 08:52 15 Aug 2010

prefer different habitats - Man has to make a scapegoat of one to cover up the wrong doing and deforesting of his own making"

That is, quite frankly, nonsense. Grey squirrels will readily invade territory occupied by red squirrels.

Red squirrels prefer coniferous forests, given a choice, but will (and do) quite happily inhabit deciduous woodland. The problem with red squirrels has nothing to do with Man making a "scapegoat of one to cover up the wrong doing and deforesting of his own making", and everything to do with the facts.

Grey squirrels put on more fat than reds, and are thus able to overwinter (they don't hibernate) more successfully. They are larger, and more robust than the reds, and can out-compete them for food supplies and territory. In addition, grey squirrels carry the squirrel pox virus, to which they are immune; it's fatal to red squirrels.

Those are the real reasons for the decline of red squirrels, and if there's to be any chance of a real revival of the population we have to intervene - possibly by providing safe, protected habitats, providing extra food to see them through harsh winters, and also by reducing the grey squirrel population.

morddwyd 09:43 15 Aug 2010

Don't tell me, tell Seth Haniel.

He's the one that made the original claim.

I happen to live near one of the few red squirrel pockets left, and invariably report all, red and grey, sightings.

click here

If I had my way all greys, tree rats, would be exterminated by any acceptable means, including poison and sterilising bait.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?