" sic "

do-gull 21:51 11 Jan 2007

I see this in a few articals and I assume it is some sort of responce to a sorta joke BUT what does it mean ???

D.G

John B 22:00 11 Jan 2007

Does this help? click here

do-gull 22:05 11 Jan 2007

Cheers!!!

That clears that up.
Can you please be a bit quicker next time J.B

D.G

John B 22:10 11 Jan 2007

Yes!

Stuartli 20:59 13 Jan 2007

It can also be viewed as a form of reprimand or disgust over a particular comment, incorrect spelling or whatever reason.

Forum Editor 21:08 13 Jan 2007

is as follows:-

"Used to indicate that a quoted passage, especially one containing an error or unconventional spelling, has been retained in its original form or written intentionally."

I have certainly never heard of Stuartli's alternative definition, and would never dream of using it in such a context.

lisa02 21:20 13 Jan 2007

I only know of it as an indication that the content of the quote has been copied as is and has an apparent error in it.

Perhaps some people view the use of it, when being quoted, as nitpicking.

anskyber 21:38 13 Jan 2007

"especially one containing an error or unconventional spelling," is of course the completely correct interpretation.

Some may therefore see it as a reprimand because it contains an error or unconventional spelling.

The error is of course not identified.

Forum Editor 21:51 13 Jan 2007

Often it is, because the (sic) is placed immediately after the error.

I don't see its use as implying a reprimand in any way - it's simply there to let the reader know it wasn't the writer's typo, but a literal transcription from the original. It's actually less of a reprimand than changing the original writer's word or words. If you quote a passage that was written by someone else you MUST use that person's original text; if you don't it's not a valid quotation.

anskyber 22:00 13 Jan 2007

Absolutely correct. (no pretention intended)

The common, but incorrect interpretation by some, is of a mild rebuke since it draws attention to the error and by implication reduces the value (so some say) of the quoted text.

Sic 18:02 14 Jan 2007

Stuartli, I agree with you 100%. Generally in my personal experience the only people who insert sic when quoting on an online forum are doing so to highlight the poor spelling of the person they wish to argue with, and at the same time take the high ground by sticking the knife in at the same time.

Hence my name after seeing sic used one to many times by a certain forum editor who if he thought about it for more than a nanosecond or two, would see who it makes look silly.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Is this the future of VR and AR?

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment regarder le Bureau des L├ęgendes en ligne ?