Should Politics be Taught at School?

Proclaimer 22:10 10 Jan 2008

I don't mean at a level for those aspiring to be in Government or anything like that. Just a good grounding in Politics, maybe even at Junior School.

We know that the voting population is nowhere near the number of those that actually vote, and less so in Local elections.

Is it a good idea to teach broad Politics to our kids now so that they have an informed choice later?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:28 10 Jan 2008

good idea to teach broad Politics to our kids now so that they have an informed choice later?

Very difficult when the major parties change their policies so often.

Perhaps the should be taught the "art" of politics?

Kemistri 22:42 10 Jan 2008

I thought they were. I was, but I suppose the curriculum has changed a lot in 15 years.

It certainly should be taught; it is as important as history.

lotvic 22:58 10 Jan 2008

I also thought they were. I remember being taught politics as part of English History and also we had great fun forming our own Parties and going through the whole process of election.

Si_L 23:13 10 Jan 2008

Its now an A-level at my old college.

WhiteTruckMan 23:21 10 Jan 2008

to teach in a manner that is both consistant and apolitical? I'm not against the idea, just suspicious of the implementation.

WTM

Stuartli 23:26 10 Jan 2008

No. Too many implications as to what is actually put across and by whom.

GANDALF <|:-)> 23:49 10 Jan 2008

Good idea and it might stop some of the retards who vote because 'the politician seems a nice man'.

G

Totally-braindead 23:50 10 Jan 2008

Depends on your definition of politics.

They should be taught how the present process of voting and legislation came about IE the history of it but not about the political parties per se as they seem to change their views every 5 minutes so what can you teach them about that?

newman35 06:32 11 Jan 2008

Next stop presumably, from your point of view, will be to ban these 'retards' from voting at all.
The basis of our democracy is that you vote for whomsoever you wish for whatever reason you wish, even at the risk of being labelled a 'retard' by you. Just because their judgements might be different to your own does not mean they are all retards.
Come down off your high horse, GANDALF <|:-)>, what superior knowledge do you possess that allows you to insult any other voter?

Miros 07:16 11 Jan 2008

Even politicians and newspapers often insult other politicians because of the way they look, dress, or speak, sadly insulting the opposition would appear to be the norm.

Seems to me more insults are flying around these forums of late, am I mistaken?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone